•  

Thread: I want to bring front and back rims out a hair wider...

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

I want to bring front and back rims out a hair wider...

Hey guys:

I am fairly good with cars, but not great with rims and tires. I have a 2010 Aveo lt 1.6L Sedan. The back suspension is stock height. The front is lowered. I'm running 205 40R17s with a 39/40ish offset. I want to roll the lip of the fenders (the rears) and bring the wheels out a bit, and make them more lined up with each other. (the back sits in a bit). I know how to roll the lip, but no idea what size wheel spacers to use. I'm having a hard time figuring that out. I'd even like to bring the back out a tad wider than the front and put 235 40 17s on the rear rims, but don't have to if it will be a hassle to do. I was thinking 1" rear, and 1/2" front. I want to keep the tire just inside the fender in the front, as they are fiberglass. Would I be better off using a 6 or 10mm spacer in front, and 1/2" to 3/4" spacer in rear?? Has anyone done this on my type of Aveo? I couldn't find anything in the search. Thanks in advance!!

zOobOy

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Sorry offset is 38

zOobOy

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      willtheyfit.com should help you. I would take a right angle finder, and go from the face of you tire/rim now and read the measurement of where you want the rim to be. That distance, if possible would be the size spacer you want to run.

I have run spacers, problem with the aveo versus most people who run spacers is that the aveo has studded hubs. VW AUDI BMW Porsche, etc all have bolt holes in the hub which makes using spaces easier because you just need longer bolts. To make up for the thread loss in the thickness of the spacer, you would need to run a 28mm spacer/adapter that has new lug studs on it. Otherwise your wheel with either hit the original studs or not have enough threads to safely attach the rim.

I put a 1" spacer in the rear when i put on my 17x10 inch wheels on my aveo for backspacing issues.

Wants to develop manifold
      Thanks
      Name:  IMG_1401.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  154.2 KB

I did exactly what you want to do. For the front, I didn't fold the edge in and under though, in fear that it could create a sharp edge on the inside. I folded the entire fender out, to add fender flares with minimal cutting. For the rear, I did tuck the edge because it is so close the the door jamb and won't pull out the same way as the front. The rear may require cutting and fender flares to space more than 1". This also matters if you have lowered your car. Another factor is the offset of the rims. You may run into real internal clearance issues even with a 1" spacer, seeing as how I have the same offset on my rimsand had to space at least 1/4".
      I have the HK lowering springs (-1.5") and 8"X17" rims. I run 195/40/17 in the front and 205/50/17 rear. I run a 1/4" spacer in the front for internal clearance but I'm looking to go wide soon as well.

My thoughts are roll the fenders and put a 1.5" spacer. If you are lowered at all you are going to need to mess with the rear fender to prevent load rubbing when you compress all the way. Good thread/topic.