•  
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: i need some info on nos...... help!!

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: i need some info on nos...... help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nemasys
      I wonder how fast im going to be once im done...
      Nemasys, you ARE one of the people I'm talking about who put a lot of time and money into an Aveo.. The other ones would be "green moster" with the SC cobalt engine swap, Aveo Extreme, and GravanaTuning Red Aveo (they never hooked up their NOS though, just sold it with it and all the original parts they took off).

The green moster is sold by Jason right now for half of what they spent on it and it sits in the snow for most of the month... You're on your 3rd engine. Not everyone would be as dedicated to it. If you don't mind asking, how much did your whole project run you so far?

2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Still love my daily driver Nemasys's Avatar
      Thanks

Well when my 1.6's timing belt went, my first 2.0 engine had a problem with it so it got changed under warranty and it didnt cost me anything. (1 year warranty from where i bought it)

The engine they sent me to replace the first 2.0 wasnt in good condition, both crank seals were leaking, got em changed under warranty but 1 of them never stopped leaking after that warranty expired.

The one im getting today is a 2007 engine with 31000 kms on it, i paid $552 CAD tax and shipping to my door included.

Total cost... well lets say i wasnt prepared when i 1st put the 2.0 in, ALOT of time wasted in getting the car in the garage, on the hoist, just to find theres a part missing, reassemble, off the hoist and back out the shop again (which is wasted labour i had to pay of course) then i had to buy the part and back to the shop again. I would say i spent $1000 too much on the job, mainly because of lost labour time.

As for parts, thats unavoidable if you want a 2.0, you will have to buy alot of parts to make it work, some you need to visit the dealer, some you can get at the junkyard.

These are rough estimates, (all prices in canadian dollars)
      - Cost for engine and all the parts needed: roughly $1800
      - Cost for labour and shop supplies: $2200 (alot of wasted time on labour, it took 36 hours of work... be prepared and make sure you have everything you need before taking it to the shop unless you do it yourself which i would have done but at the time i didnt have the tools and a place to do it, also it was in winter)
      - D20 transmission: $250
      - Full turbo kit cost: roughly $2000 (i had a good deal on this kit, installed it myself)
      - New 2.0 engine: $552
      - Performance clutch: $80 (used 6 puck ceramic clutch with 1500lb pressure plate from somone i know)
      - Coolant, oil, plugs, brake fluid, power steering fluid, engine degreaser and soap to wash engine bay for the new motor: dunno yet lol

Granted i got unlucky with my first 2.0, and alot of wasted labour. I would have liked to do the job myself but it was impossible at the time. The new motor i am installing myself.

So if you discard the useless labour fees, your looking at roughly $4000 - $4500 to put in a 2.0 and turbocharge it properly. Add about $1000 if your willing to pay a shop to do the swap (not including turbo install, thats easy to do anyways)

So $5000 in upgrades... is it worth it?

- Mazdaspeed 3... 30-35 grand?
      - Turbocharged 2.0L Aveo... 15-18 grand?

Watching the guy in the Speed 3 as you blow his doors off with a big fat smile on your face and hes almost crying to his momma??

PRICELESS!!!
      > 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
      - Fully built, GT35R, 500+ whp

> 2004 Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged [RETIRED]
      - T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
      - HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
      - FMIC with 2.5" piping
      - Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nemasys
      Watching the guy in the Speed 3 as you blow his doors off with a big fat smile on your face and hes almost crying to his momma??

PRICELESS!!!
      You forgot:

"For everything else, there's MasterCard!" lol

I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123