•  
    Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: How much did you pay for your USED Aveo?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Bought my 2008 Aveo5 LS this past December [2015] with about 60k mi. on it. Only paid $1700 for it. It needed a new flex pipe and oxygen sensors replaced and it's good as new.

In the few months I've had it, I've seem to run into some suspension problems (there's a clunking going on) and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any airbags, as the red airbag light is always on, but beyond that it's still running strong. Starting to need an oil change, but strong; even with all the sludge in the head from previous owner(s).

Thanks
      Bought my '09 Aveo5 SS with 122k for $800. The previous owner's boyfriend said the check engine light came on and he inspected it and found oil in the coolant reservoir and it had a bad oil leak. So I bought it thinking I'd have to put a head gasket in it, but after flushing it and about 150 miles later, no oil in the coolant. It runs great and the oil leak was the sending unit puking out of the plug.

On the down side, there isn't a scratch/ding free panel on the exterior or a clean spot in the interior. By far the dirtiest car I've ever seen inside, I'd hate to see in the PO's trailer... It goes to the detail shop tomorrow morning though.

Thanks
      I watch my local car classified ads daily and used Aveos come up surprisingly rarely. I wonder why that is... do people keep 'em and drive 'em into the ground??

But last week one came up that caught my eye:

150k km (93 k miles)
      5-speed
      $1250 asking price

Lots of photos were posted, and it looked in decent condition.

I would have gone to look at it if I hadn't already bought next winter's beater a few weeks earlier. (2004 Echo)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
      do people keep 'em and drive 'em into the ground??

Yes, this seems to be the case. Very rarely do I see them for sale, most of the time in decent condition in the 3-4K range in price. More rare are the clapped valve train/tranny problem cars for cheap. Tried to buy a pristine 06 LT with a limp mode trans late last year, (for $1200) but they wound up keeping it. If I see a cream puff with a broken timing belt odds are I will grab it. I know how shallow the car pool is getting these days!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 06T200 For This Useful Post:

AndrewButler05 (05-17-2016)

Thanks
      So maybe I wasn't just imagining things?

Because I do see plenty of them driving around, but rarely see used ones advertised.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

AndrewButler05 (05-17-2016)

Thanks
      I'm like sitting here with all the basic paper work including the original '06 Aveo showroom brochure, a DVd titled "An American Revolution I've never watched and window sticker. I bought mine brand new in April 15, 2006 at Midway Chevrolet in Phoenix. It's like a 2006 LS 5-door and "Summer Yellow" and I refer to her as "The Banana. Original window sticker at bottom says Total Vehicle price* $12,215, but I kinda remember just a tad over mid $11,000. I bought it as a second car so as not to like wear out my 2006 Chrysler 300C or wutever, not even knowing it'd become my main and only transportation a couple years later after another divorce. I only wanted AC and 5 speed manual and that's about all it's got. The current mileage is going on 125,000 and she's ready for like the 4th or 5th set of tires (at 2-3 hundred a pop per set). The Banana eats front tires for breakfast and I gave up early on after like 3 alignments at 3 different places over the years with no results. Now I rotate and balance every 3-4 thousand miles as it comes with the tires. She's eaten like 4 batteries (desert heat?) as they barely make it to the no more warranty stage. The last one was a year ago, $117.00 at Wallymart (3 yrs free replacement). At 66,000 miles the serpentine belt, after breaking in two, was replaced for $58.69. Although the receipt is still in the glove box, between the last and next repair the check engine light came on a few times and she stumbled on hard acceleration. Turns out oil was shorting out the plugs from a ongoing oil leak at the valve cover. Had the gasket replaced and a tune up with new plugs and wires, seems like well north of a hundred bucks. At 95,000 miles the front wheel bearings both went (gawd...wut a grind lol) for a total repair of $225.49. She needed (needs) for a few years now front strut thingies and likely rear shocks but that doesn't affect the starting and running of her, so it can wait. The last repair was on May 18 in the VA parking lot in Tucson when the plastic thermostat housing broke in two, water came out and the temp gauge pegged just as I pulled into a parking space. I was like OMG! happy it so didn't happened on the 200 mile, average 80 mph (posted 75 mph here in the middle of the desert) trip about 3 minutes before. Any way, towing, parts, labor to get safely back home the next day was $131.20. BTW-the local Tucson Chevy dealer wanted $108.00 for the thermostat housing thingie alone, $20.20 at a local parts house and it's metal. I was going to buy another car a few years ago, but couldn't credit/financially, so it was suggested I buy a used 1-2 year old one on the lot. I said, no thxxx, I'm already driving the best used car I can buy. I know every mile and quirk of the Banana. I've changed both air and cabin filters a couple of times. 2 days ago I cleaned and detailed the engine, which shines and looks almost new, and put on a new set of Pep Boys hubcaps. I'm presently shopping online radiator hoses, another serpentine belt and any other little external mechanical parts I can think of to take to the shop to be put on. Outside of these items and oil changes, when I can remember them and am in town, as well as basic state required insurance and license every year (like 50 bucks now which includes a vanity plate) this has really been my little yellow trooper and although I wish it had been "fully loaded", including power windows and cruise, she might still be worth a motor transplant (knock on wood) just because of years of loyal service. The Banana and I are buddies forever I hope.`

Thanks
      posted to wrong place
      Last edited by Marsea; 05-29-2016 at 10:04 PM. Reason: posted to wrong place

Thanks
      I just got a 2006 LT a month ago for $2400 with 76,000 mi on it. It's a silver 5 speed. I didn't want a manual since I have one already. they're a pain in stop & go traffic, but, other than that I have been driving it a month and it seems like a good one. none of the typical problems I've read about. If any advice other than typical maintenance feel free to tell me.

new to the forum.

RayRay

Thanks
      $700. 142k

Thanks
      I just bought a teal 2005 aveo ls automatic with 144k miles for $400 from a Facebook buy, sell, trade page. It has the mil on for an o2 sensor, besides that there is nothing remarkably wrong with it.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast