•  

Thread: How does the Aveo handle on Long Road Trips?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

How does the Aveo handle on Long Road Trips?

Hey all! I just got my 2009 sedan (gonna after market the crap out of it soon) in december, not even 7500 miles on it yet. I was wondering how this thing will handle taking 4 people from detroit to chicago (320 miles there) I know its good on gas, but a very small tank. Has anyone taken their car on a long road trip?

What do you mean there's no turbo? LarsBud's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: How does the Aveo handle on Long Road Trips?

First Road Trip. (Aug. 2009)

Well just came back from me first long road trip with Red Max and was very happy with it all around performance. With the car fully loaded, wife, son and luggage we set out on our 1100km round trip. It consisted of winding country roads, steep hills and flat out highways, a really good test for the car.

1/ So for gas use I averaged 550km a tank (42L) with A/C on half the time.

2/ The comfort of the ride was good for a small car and my ass never fell a sleep.

3/ The winding roads where fun to drive, but I did need to give myself enough time for passing. Need to shift down to fourth or third to pass to have good power.

4/ In the hills the car pulled quite well. I only had to shift down to fourth on long hills or if I was passing.

5/ On the highway, well that’s when the fun started. I had no issues, the car ran at 120km/h with no problems. Had a little fun with a blue Minnie and we played tag for some time down the highway, cruising at 140km/h. the car was smooth with no vibration, there was still more she was willing to give.

6/ After the trip I checked the oil and had used ¾ of a L, but the engine is still going through break in. (before trip car had 1200km)

So after a wash and a clean up I am very happy of this little car. No it’s not a big block eight or a lechery sedan, but a well put together small car that can give any car in its class a run for there money.
      Always make the best of what you have!
      http://caferacersontario.forumer.com

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i drive my car 50-100 miles almost every time i get in it. i have a long commute.

i think you will be pleased with it.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit
      i drive my car 50-100 miles almost every time i get in it. i have a long commute.

i think you will be pleased with it.
      Yeah I do 6000km road trips every year in mine, no problems.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks

thank you all! Now i got more confidence taking my car on a 6 mile roadie.

Now my main quest is for a front bumper to make my sedan look like a hatch back

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

What year is ur aveo? sedans look just like hatches in the front only back is longer

Thanks

its the 09 sedan, i just like the grill of the hatch.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddemonx92
      What year is ur aveo? sedans look just like hatches in the front only back is longer
      Not sure about the 2009 model but the 2010 hatch has a completely different grill than the sedan. You can check it yourself:

http://www.chevrolet.com/aveo/sedan/pictures/

http://www.chevrolet.com/aveo/hatchback/pictures/

(I didn't realize it either). Curious to see a sedan with a hatch grill. I think it's a fun mod

Edit: and a lot of work. Judging on the photos you'll have to replace not just the grill, but the entire front paneling of the car - fenders, hood and headlights.

Thanks

I drive about 800km to get to my parents in northern ontario with my 08 Suzuki Swift. The small gas tank is annoying. I've learned that the last 1/4 tank of gas in this car goes a long ways. Once you get North of North Bay on Hwy 11 with this car the ruts in the pavement that the transports make are annoying. The car tends to dive into them and then come back out so your always fighting with the steering to keep it smooth. The suspension does not handle rough roads very well. We have sore butts by the time we get there.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Took my 2009 Aveo on a trip from Cincinnati to DC a few weeks back We had two adults and 3 children ages 7,10,14 and all our stuff. It 7.5 hours worth of driving one way. The car (and kids) did great even with the small space we had enough room. I drove there and back on 100 bucks in gas. I've taken that trip with several other cars and I filled up less with this car for sure.

My car is a 2009 Aveo 5

Very impressive for such a little car.

2009 Chevy Aveo5 LS
      2007 Chevy Corvette Z06
      2002 GMC Yukon XL (my tow vehicle)
      1978 Jeep Renagade CJ5 Levi Edition
      1965 Pontiac GTO (428, Tripower, 4spd)