•  
    Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Highest Mileage Aveo (how many miles / km on yours now?)

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by puakaunu View Post
      It was the dang dealer who replaced everything. It was independent mechanic who told me about the misfiring thing. One day it lost throttle power and that is when the dealer kept it and said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Its a good car when the engine light isn't on. I commute 120 miles a day 5 days a week. I guess all in all it has been good but not powerful enough to get out of someones way only when the engine light is on. Replace things and it runs great for a few days and then loses some power.

Thanks for the tips on the coil wire or wires. I will check it out. Any other help will be greatly appreciated.

I do the whole mtc thing.
      Glad to see that American car service is just as bad as the Volkswagen dealer service.

My girlfriend is thinking about getting an Aveo and threads like this are always reassuring. Seems like most people aren't having a lot of problems with their cars.

I'm not familiar with American cars any more as I lost faith in them after my Buick Regal GS racked up a bigger repair bill than its value in the first 60,000 miles. Don't even ask me to list all of those repairs . Good to see that, for the most part, GM is making a turn around.

I'm pretty much a VW diesel guy now but we can't afford to spend the cash on another VW TDI right now (talk about holding resale value).

Perhaps buying an Aveo as a second car would be nice after all. Right now she drives a '99 Saturn SL2 approaching 150,000 miles quickly. It has its fair share of issues that aren't really worth fixing at this point. I would say we've been pretty fortunate with it being the original motor and auto trans. It doesn't even burn more than a quart of oil between changes which, as most Saturn people know, is a miracle past 100,000 miles.

Thanks for this thread.

Last edited by procupine14; 04-06-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by procupine14 View Post
      My girlfriend is thinking about getting an Aveo and threads like this are always reassuring. Seems like most people aren't having a lot of problems with their cars.
      You won't find many posts here with people complaining. It isn't allowed. When I posted something negative, AveoSS rode me like a bike. Then this idiot thehunteroo posts what I said in other threads to rally the troops against me. It's kind of ashame, but if you speak badly about the aveo, you are considered the enemy, even if it is the truth.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Its not that its not allowed.

Most people come in with problems need to be solved, not come to the site to bash the car because the dealer couldnt figure it out.
      Only two members joined to bash the car, and only one (you) is still reading the forums.

If you ask for constructive criticism, or opinions and even personal experience about a particular issue, that is a lot different than coming in here saying all aveos suck. I actually just fixed a members referral (from my site) that the dealership couldn't figure out. And I did it for free, an issue keeping the car from finishing a round trip, and passing inspect I was able to fix in half an hour, and it is gone.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      Its not that its not allowed.

Most people come in with problems need to be solved, not come to the site to bash the car because the dealer couldnt figure it out.
      Only two members joined to bash the car, and only one (you) is still reading the forums.

If you ask for constructive criticism, or opinions and even personal experience about a particular issue, that is a lot different than coming in here saying all aveos suck. I actually just fixed a members referral (from my site) that the dealership couldn't figure out. And I did it for free, an issue keeping the car from finishing a round trip, and passing inspect I was able to fix in half an hour, and it is gone.
      I love hearing this kinda stuff. Awesome!

Thanks
      I got 130k on my 2004 Aveo. Had to deal with the timing belt breaking at 80,000 miles to the tune of $2009, but that was my fault for not having it changed. I recently replaced the plastic thermostat housing after it blew apart to a generic aluminum one from O'reillys. I also just replaced the slipping clutch with a Sachs and replaced the timing belt, water pump, and serpentine belt. Bought a new AEM dryflow filter for my SRI.

I love my car, it still runs and drives great.

Thanks

dead at 132000

Well... last week I took my cards out to call the dealership to install a new timing belt as i had 58000 on this one. On the way to work the idler pulley broke and killed my engine at 132000 miles. I ripped it apart and found that the 8 exhaust valves appear to be bent. I am thinking of stripping the head out to see if there is any piston damage. What do you think... is it worth it? about $800 in parts if I choose to fix it. How long before my clutch goes? 132k is a lot on this great little car but I can't see spending too much on repairs when other parts might stat going. Any thoughts?

Thanks
      Lap in 8 new exhaust valves, get a head set and new head bolts, and a timing belt set with new idler and tensioner and don't forget to change your waterpump while you are in there. You'll be good to go for another 60,000

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      you have to pull the head to fix the valves.. so you can see the pistons then? i'm not sure what you are saying about stripping the head for that?

and repairing a car that you know the history of is almost always a better choice than buying a used car that you do not know the history of (if the price/year are comparable).. if you going to get rid of a 2004 aveo for a 2011 cruze, thats different but much more money than the $800 you would spend.

clutches all wear at different rates. based on driver ability and driving conditions. i've actually driven cars with "needs a clutch" in the description of the for sale ad for 40k miles..

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks
      UPDATED MILEAGE: I just passed 135000 miles and so far so good. I was a bad egg and waited until 91000 miles before I changed my timing belt and got away with it that time. I had full comprehension of what I was buying when I bought it back in July of 2004. It cost me $9000 brand new out the door with title, tax and tags. I wanted a fairly inexpensive car that I would put a lot of mileage on yearly, save me some gas, and keep the wear and tear off my Suburban. I have been very happy with the car so far. It has treated me very well. I change the oil every 3K and I do not abuse it. My wife and I love this car so much that she wanted her own little car and we purchased her used 2007 Aveo 5 back in 09 with 41000 miles on it for $6500.00. She now has 56000 miles on it and all shes ever needed replaced was the left side wheel bearing and it was under warranty from the dealer. Have we been happy with our cars? Absolutely. I'm going to be sorry when the day comes and it dies off. Anyway my point being is that I believe you get out of your car what you put into it. I work to hard for what I own to be abusive or negligent on the care of our cars.
      Last edited by NYChevoo; 04-25-2011 at 07:41 AM.
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Not unless you are frobes or C&D, the aveo wont last 50 miles

An update of my own aveo, i am at 53983 and nothing so far, I do want to get it traded in though before 60k, but $400 for the 60k service at my local shop is fair enough. The only possible thing I could complain about is the squeaky struts up front, it is not too bad, but the only thing that is bad, and that is not bad at all

Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast