•  

Thread: General Repair Inquiry

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

General Repair Inquiry

Hey all!

So other than changing my breaks (which my car seems to go through like a champ...probably due to my Masshole driving) I haven't had to do TOO much maintenance...just your basic oil and filter changes.

At 70K it's my first time going under the hood for anything and I just want to know if anyone else has had these issues:

Car: 2006 Aveo LT Hatchback, (roughly) 70K miles

Problems:

-BTSI Solenoid is worn causing the car to shift "past" park and the key to remain stuck in the ignition
      *I've read that this is a fairly common problem, so I'm not too worried about it.

-Cracked Thermostat Housing/Water Outlet
      *Noticed the other day when we were under the hood that I was spitting a little bit of coolant. Nothing terrible, just a little bit of bubbling/spraying (almost like a small hole in a bike tube)

-Worn Valve Cover Gasket
      *I've got some oil leaking out on to the exhaust, a quick fix, but seems awfully early for this gasket to be gone.

Also, has anyone had their Alloy Rims warp on them? I THINK mine is warped because I can't seem to find the issue with the "helicopter" noise coming from my front right.

That's all...not like it's any HUGE trouble, just some pain in the ass stuff...about $260 to fix on my own.

Look forward to hearing from everyone!
      Thanks!

-Kevin

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Kevin,

1st big question-- have you changed the Timing Belt and Idler Pulley?? This has to be done at or before 60k otherwise you might be in for some big engine fix/replacement bills.

I have the same year & model as you, even the same mileage.

Here's what I've done so far--

Timing Belt/Idler/Water Pump at 49k
      Metal replacement thermostat housing at 35k (before the plastic one had a chance to crap out)
      Dealer replaced some "plugs" in the engine that were leaking oil into the cylinders (fixed under warrenty before any problems developed) at around 25k I think.

I have the Alloy Rims and have not noticed any warpage. Is it possible something is lodged in the rim somewhere that might be throwing it out of balance? I've had that happen in the winter when chunks of snow/ice are in the "spokes".

It is a 5 speed so I haven't had any tranny issues.

I'm getting ready to do the brakes & a plug change soon.

The car's been aces as far as I'm concerned. If you know the pitfalls (lots of warning info all over the internet) and take care of them, the car is fine.

Check that belt...you are on borrowed time!

Good luck...--Mike

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Thanks Mike,

I haven't done my timing belt, I'm glad you brought that up. I just need to decide whether I'm doing the belt and water pump at the same time, or if I should just risk it and do the belt as I'm SERIOUSLY short on money.

Where did you find the Idle pulley? AutoZone doesn't have them, but i haven't looked much farther than that.

I don't think there's anything stuck in th wheels...but I might just bring it to my stand-by mechanic and pay him a couple bucks to toss it up on the balancer, see what he can see...

Thanks again!
      Kevin

Thanks
      In addition to the timing belt I'd definitely get that thermostat housing replaced. You don't want that failing on you. A lot of guys upgrade to the (I think) 2007+ version that is made of aluminum.

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by BBruins12 View Post
      Where did you find the Idle pulley? AutoZone doesn't have them, but i haven't looked much farther than that.Kevin
      Here's where I got mine--

Amazon.com: ContiTech Timing Belt Kit: Automotive

The same page also offers a combo buy with a water pump & pump wrench (special for the Aveo). I'd go that way. While you have everything apart it's a good time to change the water pump.

--Mike

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
      In addition to the timing belt I'd definitely get that thermostat housing replaced. You don't want that failing on you. A lot of guys upgrade to the (I think) 2007+ version that is made of aluminum.
      Oh yeah, that Thermostat housing is DEFINITELY going...I was going to patch it up with some RTV silicone, but my parts should be here tomorrow.