•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First post, new owner who isn't happy. (Noisy clutch release bearing?)

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

First post, new owner who isn't happy. (Noisy clutch release bearing?)

Got the car 3 weeks ago, 2007 with 17 000km (that's 10 000 miles) and my release bearing is noisy (I press clutch pedal and I can hear it). I don't think any dealer will cover it, I would be surprised any way since it's part of the clutch. Any aftermarket clutch I can put on my car that would be better then OEM? I cannot believe this is happening on a car with such low mileage, I'm used to VWs and Audis (my 1993 S4 is on the original clutch and has 250 000km!) and I just needed something cheap and reliable while I work on my older cars to put them back on the road I'll go see the dealer later today but I don't expect anything...

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      depending on how loud it is it might be normal. this car isnt an audi, i can hear the release of the clutch too, but there is nothing wrong with the car, its that my ears are fine tuned to listening for problems with cars.

but with 10k miles on the car when you bought it, and you bought it used.. are you honestly that surprised that it might need a clutch?
      i mean, don't you realize the some 16year old racer wannabe probably got it as his first car and dropped the clutch a bunch of times, when he doesn't even know how to drive a stick because he is 16 and its his first car? i've bought cars being told it needed a clutch and put another 40-50k miles on them, but i have also ridden around with a lot of people who have no business driving a stick.

I would approach the dealer carefully, and ask. But being you have had it 3 weeks they might place all the blame on you. But id would depend on the mileage. Better dealers will typically honor it if caught soon enough. but again it depends on if its actually loud or not.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      My '06 has made the same audible noise on contact as yours, since new. 85k now, and no problems.

I didn't want the dealership messing around with stuff, so I've waited for it to get worse and it hasn't.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Today was the third day of me driving my 2004 and I noticed a noise too. I am not overly concerned and mine has 145000 kms on it.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      My dealer covered the replacement of the release bearing for my clutch. Ask, I think it's covered under the powertrain warranty.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      but with 10k miles on the car when you bought it, and you bought it used.. are you honestly that surprised that it might need a clutch?
      i mean, don't you realize the some 16year old racer wannabe probably got it as his first car and dropped the clutch a bunch of times, when he doesn't even know how to drive a stick because he is 16 and its his first car?

10 000 miles in 2 years and a half you are saying I should expect the car to have problems? That's the last thing I expected to read :P In fact the car was owned by a grow man without kids, his girlfriend had a kid which seemed too young to learn to drive and they had another car

Ontarian_frog: That's nice to know since I'm still under the 3 years (total) of ownership and way under 60 000km, everything should still be covered then... The "frog" in your name means you are a franco? If it's the case, bonjour, je viens du Québec!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i've put clutches in "brand new" untitled cars.. but it sounds like you bought from a private party not a dealer.

do yourself a favor, take an evening and go to a dealership, and listen to a couple other manual aveos, even though the new aveo have a different engine, the transmission and clutch are about the same. Test the clutches and listen to them. If its the exact same in all of them and your car, that is the way it is... if yours is louder, then you have a problem.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      oh and yes, always expect problems with a used car, why else would the original owner get rid of it? even if they say its because of a financial decision, that means they didn't have the money for maintenance.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      In fact tomorrow I'm going to the dealership, the owner is my friend's father so I'll be able to check what it's like in other cars at the same time. I just don't know anyone with an older manual aveo so I could compare, if I'm lucky they'll have one in the used section of the lot...

Thanks
      Bienvenue a Aveoforum, MatLax!

The internet is a small place - we were both on teamswift a long time back. (I think he's following me.)

The plan to listen to other cars at the dealership sounds like a good one. I've owned cars with noisy but otherwise trouble-free release bearings also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast