•  

Thread: Ethanol free gas??

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Ethanol free gas??

So a gas station near me started offering ethanol free gas. Would there be any benefit to run it for a nickel more a gallon? My cousin is swearing by the stuff, told me his Jeep gets 4 more mpg. Granted, his Jeep Cherokee is a 93. Would I get an mpg boost ?(not that I need it at 28.5 ) just curious.

Sent from my HTC331ZLVWPP using Tapatalk

Thanks
      I personally don't notice any difference with regular gas vs ethanol gas. I track every fill up for all of my vehicles. There are more BTUs per gallon in normal gas vs ethanol, but ethanol also boosts octane rating... So, IMO no its not worth it. I too have heard of others swear by it though.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Octane is the resistance to "burn early" which causes knocking, so basically you can take "crappy" gas and make it higher octane with ethanol. So its allows cheaper octane gas to be sold at a higher octane rating. (@ 84-85 octane fuel which no one sells of uses, with 10% ethanol added becomes 87 octane).

There are many reasons to run gas without ethanol. But I can't think of any particularly good for an aveo. It was designed to have ethanol gas run through it, the fuel lines and everything will handle it fine, the programming is good to go. Over time, you might see less issues with the cat.. and possibly o2 sensors. But we are talking very limited benefit.

Older cars benefit, custom builds can benefit, etc.

Now the extra 5 cents for your lawn mower and weed wacker will save your equipment over the years from deterioration. Their fuel lines, aluminum carburetors etc, all get eaten by ethanol.

Thanks
      Well, I went to the place today because I am aware about Ethanol free gas being better for small engines and it turns out it's 5 cents more compared to the 91 ethanol my cousin was running it's 57 cents more than regular but it's still cheaper than a 6 buck quart of ethanol free 4 cycle lawnmower gas. I got my mower cans filled up and it should be cheaper to run through my classic 94 mtd push mower.

Thanks

energy content of E10 gas

Quote Originally Posted by CookedTick View Post
      My cousin is swearing by the stuff, told me his Jeep gets 4 more mpg.
      I'd be wary of that claim. What ratio of ethanol vs. gasoline was he using?

gasoline with 10% ethanol has just over 96% BTU value of pure gasoline
      Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoli...fuels_like_E85

Based on using E10, I doubt anyone could detect the difference in tank-to-tank fill-ups.

I'm with Daox on this: outside of a laboratory, I doubt you would tell the difference on E10.

But if his Jeep is an E85 ("flex-fuel") capable vehicle, and he's comparing E85 to straight gas, then you would see a difference.

The Aveo isn't flex-fuel.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      Octane is the resistance to "burn early" which causes knocking, so basically you can take "crappy" gas and make it higher octane with ethanol. So its allows cheaper octane gas to be sold at a higher octane rating. (@ 84-85 octane fuel which no one sells of uses, with 10% ethanol added becomes 87 octane).

There are many reasons to run gas without ethanol. But I can't think of any particularly good for an aveo. It was designed to have ethanol gas run through it, the fuel lines and everything will handle it fine, the programming is good to go. Over time, you might see less issues with the cat.. and possibly o2 sensors. But we are talking very limited benefit.

Older cars benefit, custom builds can benefit, etc.

Now the extra 5 cents for your lawn mower and weed wacker will save your equipment over the years from deterioration. Their fuel lines, aluminum carburetors etc, all get eaten by ethanol.
      I 100% agree , when it comes to small engines . Especially if you let the old gas set in the tank all winter long .

We have a 1991 Caprice & I think the fuel system on it would be happier on 100% gasoline . Unfortunately , there is nor a close place to buy it . And not for only a nickle a gallon more .

Wyr
      God bless

PS Our Sonic probably does not care .

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Innaccurate - There are always mileage gains on 100% gas vs ethanol

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
      I'd be wary of that claim. What ratio of ethanol vs. gasoline was he using?

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoli...fuels_like_E85

Based on using E10, I doubt anyone could detect the difference in tank-to-tank fill-ups.

I'm with Daox on this: outside of a laboratory, I doubt you would tell the difference on E10.

But if his Jeep is an E85 ("flex-fuel") capable vehicle, and he's comparing E85 to straight gas, then you would see a difference.

The Aveo isn't flex-fuel.

Every car I have owned gets 2 - 7 more miles per gallon with ethanol free gasoline!
      Ethanol will gum more than regular 100% gas also(easier on your engine and gas tank in general)

Most gas stations offer 100% gas AT HIGHER octane than ETHANOL 10% gas so the octane is ACTUALLY BETTER than ethanol! So overall you get what you pay for! 100% (gas = gooder)

Thanks
      He was running e10. Jeep is not a flex fuel.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      This is in the "that's just your opinion, man" category - but I would choose ethanol free any time I had the chance. Engines run cooler with pure gasoline, so I think you'd probably get longer life out of it.

Phase separation is the biggest problem with ethanol gas. Ethanol absorbs water, which eventually separates out. That process includes the time that the gas is sitting in the underground tank. I've pulled gas out of my tank that was only in there 3 weeks, and have seen the separation layer already formed. Given, that's in humid conditions.

There is absolutely no technical benefit to adding ethanol to gas. I think any engineer will verify that. The ethanol addition is for environmental reasons (mostly debunked), and to keep the corn farmers in Iowa happy.