•  

Thread: Clunk sound near front passenger area while slowly driving over bumpy road - WTF?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Clunk sound near front passenger area while slowly driving over bumpy road - WTF?

2006 Aveo 1.6L
      LS
      132k miles

Morning.

Noticing a clunking sound coming from passenger front area when traveling over bumpy roads and need help identifying the source. Sound is more pronounced when driving slowly over bumpy roads. I rocked the car up and down with no noise. I pulled the car from side to side and can hear it faintly around passenger side front tire area. Turning the tire while stationary produces no noise, but when driving on non-bumpy roads and pulling side to side sorta fast I can hear a faint clunk sound. Removed tire and inspected ball joint, intermediate shaft, tire rod, links (new), struts (new), caliper (new), sway bar. Nothing. Lower control arm bushing (back) appears to have cracks in it, sorta like dry rotting style cracks you'd see on a pair of crappy used tires. The front bushing of that control arm looks good.

With that said, could I assume that the clunking noise I'm hearing comes from the intermediate shaft hitting the lower control arm due to the faulty bushing? I doubt the lower control arm is making that noise in the area of the bad bushing just because of the sound that area would make which isn't what I'm hearing....it sounds like the intermediate shaft is hitting or the control arm is hitting the shaft causing that sound. Would that be correct?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Even a hands-on professional front-end guy can sometimes have problems diagnosing noise. So trying to answer your question would be nothing but speculation. About all you can get here is a bunch of possibilities.

Thanks
      You're right, but it could help me eliminate areas I don't need to deal with. I'll need to upload pics of the rear bushing on the lower control arm to get some opinions, and guess I could attach a camera under the passenger side tire area and drive and look at what it records in hopes of locating that noise.

Thanks
      Now that I can see better, it appears as if the lca back bushing is bad.Name:  20170809_132323.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  287.6 KB