•  

Thread: 1.6 to 1.8 20 over

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

1.6 to 1.8 20 over

Hello, I have a 2010 Aveo5 1.6L- 10.8-1 compression. I read that the same block was used for 1.4L to 1.8L. Can I bore this block for 1.8L pistons at 20 over. The question is are the piston wrist pins the same size in the 1.6L and 1.8L. Thanks New Member.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      I would say they are the same. I looked at the 2013 Sonic and the 2010 Aveo. Some engines share the same connecting rod, therefore the same size pin. I can't tell for sure, since the pin is not listed for the Sonic. However, the two different connecting rod on the Sonic takes the same piston and it comes with the wrist pin.

As far as boring the engine out, I'm not the right person to answer this question.
      Last edited by ontarian_frog; 05-23-2015 at 08:25 PM. Reason: more info.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Strocker

The 2010 1.6L is suppose to be a different stroke than other blocks to give it the higher compression. What years were the same for blocks? 2010 is suppose to be a GENIII block and lighter, is this what is in the new Sonic? Do I need to base my pistons on a new car? Bought my wife a 2012 Sonic, has some nice power. I just added a ram air and bought a Magnaflow header with CAT and Magnaflow stage 1 muffler, waiting for the CAT back 2.5 in

Quote Originally Posted by ontarian_frog View Post
      I would say they are the same. I looked at the 2013 Sonic and the 2010 Aveo. Some engines share the same connecting rod, therefore the same size pin. I can't tell for sure, since the pin is not listed for the Sonic. However, the two different connecting rod on the Sonic takes the same piston and it comes with the wrist pin.

As far as boring the engine out, I'm not the right person to answer this question.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      The engines have different crankshafts, therefore you would need to compare the pistons to make sure you have the right clearances. If the pistons have the same height, you could be ok. An engine swap might be a better option than a bore job.

Personally, I'd do a swap before I'd bore the engine out. You'd be able to get a little bit of money for the extra parts to offset the cost and you'd know for sure your setup would be reliable. Plus you wouldn't need to tune, that's a big step.

I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.