•  

Thread: 04 Aveo needs new engine. Worth replacing?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

04 Aveo needs new engine. Worth replacing?

My 2004 Chevrolet Aveo's timing belt broke, bending the engine valves (a very common problem for '04-'07 Aveos). Mechanic is quoting me $2600 to replace the engine, but I don't want to do it if it's likely that I'll need other expensive repairs in the next couple of years, which leads me to a few questions:

1. If I replace the engine, is it likely that I'll have other expensive problems in the next few years? I realize you don't have a crystal ball, but I'm hoping someone here might have an idea of what I can expect based on any knowledge/experience with Aveos.

2. Are certain engines more reliable than others? What about better deals? I have no idea if the mechanic quoted me the price of a new engine or a used one, but from my understanding Chevy claims to have fixed the timing belt/valve problem in 2008, which makes me think I should look for a new(er) engine (For the record, I don't need a souped-up engine for performance--just one that won't break if something happens, like the timing belt snaps)

3. At this point, is it smarter to spend $3000 - $5000 on an older used Toyota or Honda (which are supposed to be more reliable) than replace the engine?

Additional details: I use my car primarily to commute. About once a week, I drive 70 miles each way to my boyfriend's and work meetings. My car has about 50,000 miles and no warranty. It's an automatic. I had other problems before it broke down, but I'm not sure how serious they are. The shifter sticks pretty badly when pulling out of park and, recently, the car started making a humming noise around 60 mph (wondering if that was from the timing belt?) plus creaking noises when making slow turns. I also replaced the battery, which seemed like a premature repair.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: 04 Aveo needs new engine. Worth replacing?

if a timing belt breaks in most cars, you will have destroyed engines, but you should just swap in another engine, those quotes seem pretty high, you can get a decent engine for well under $1000 and swap it in yourself if you can, with a new timing belt :P

i have a 2007 with 48357 miles and everything is running strong, and i beat on it very badly, but the car never wants to give in, though i dont like the auto tranny it still shifts like new even after running it with no fluid for several miles, and having 10 quarts of oil in the engine has not caused any problems as of yet

4. Do a Cobalt SS Swap =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

good luck with whatever you do!

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thehunterooo
      if a timing belt breaks in most cars, you will have destroyed engines, but you should just swap in another engine, those quotes seem pretty high, you can get a decent engine for well under $1000 and swap it in yourself if you can, with a new timing belt :P

i have a 2007 with 48357 miles and everything is running strong, and i beat on it very badly, but the car never wants to give in, though i dont like the auto tranny it still shifts like new even after running it with no fluid for several miles, and having 10 quarts of oil in the engine has not caused any problems as of yet

4. Do a Cobalt SS Swap =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

good luck with whatever you do!
      Thanks for the info! What's better about a Cobalt engine? If it's not an interference engine like the Aveo, I'll certainly look into it.

I'm also considering just getting the broken valves replaced (assuming the cylinder head and pistons are still okay). Sounds like the cheaper route, and might even be smarter that swapping the entire engine for a used one with a questionable history. What do you think?

For the record, I don't plan to do any of this work myself! I've done some research, but I'm not a mechanic.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

i wouldnt do the work yourself. i have rebuilt motors, and the tolerance levels on valves are so small. now what you could do is take the head to a machine shop, so that even if the valves are broken and has done damage, you could have the head ported and polished ($1000) and then put the head back on to the motor, id still be extra careful about the timing belt, even if your a tooth off, it has potential of re-breaking valves.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i just have to ask, where are you located?

for the sounds of it, youve already given up on the car, if you have,then put a used engine in it and trade it/sell it.

IF you want to the keep the car still buy a used engine, but find one with a warranty (able to be done for less than $1000). Then have that installed. The install should be less than $1000, i would think 8-9 flat rate hours (check that, ask your mechanic for his break down). So if you can find an independent shop that charges less that the typical $100 an hour (like $50-60) then you could have it fixed for closer to $1600-1700..

If you go with a more questionable engine to trade it in, then i would think you could find on closer to $500, so the savings would only be in the price of the engine, not in the labor.

Check to see how much you will lose trading the car versus the keeping it.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

The car has 50,000 Miles Go to KBB.com and check out how much your car is worth that way you can gauge if you want it fixed or get rid of the car. If it costs more than the car get rid of it.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

i dont think it would be worth much too begin with, and with no engine idk if anyone would want to take it on, an ebay engine with a warrenty like rabbit said is the best way to go, idk about the tranny though

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks

You could read through this thread too:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=27464

2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD