•  

Thread: Key Will Not Come Out of Ignition in 2009 Aveo

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Key Will Not Come Out of Ignition in 2009 Aveo

Hey guys So I've been having issues with the key getting stuck in the ignition in my 2009 Aveo LT. This has been going on and off for a few months and usually I jiggle it and mess with it until It comes out. Yesterday when I got home from work, I turned the car off and the key would not come out again only this time no matter what I do it doesn't come out. The key turns off and goes a bit past the ACC but stops before it clicks in the LOCK position where you can take the key out. It will not budge no matter what I try. I did some research on this forum and online and as far I can guess it could have something to do with some switch in the shifter or it could the ignition lock cylinder. I tried shifting in and out of park, but nothing! Anybody dealt with this issue before or have any recommendations. The car is dead now in my driveway because with the key in it, the digital clock on the dashboard killed my battery over night. Any help is appreciated!!

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      IMO, it's probably the key itself that is causing the problem. I've owned many cars in my lifetime, over several decades, but I have never seen such horrible key & lock problems such as found on this particular car. I too have a 2009 Aveo which I bought new. From day one, using the original unused key to make a copy, it was difficult get a replacement key cut for it that would work reliably. The key is an unusual blank that is hard to find and hard to reproduce. There are other threads here addressing this problem.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
      IMO, it's probably the key itself that is causing the problem. I've owned many cars in my lifetime, over several decades, but I have never seen such horrible key & lock problems such as found on this particular car. I too have a 2009 Aveo which I bought new. From day one, using the original unused key to make a copy, it was difficult get a replacement key cut for it that would work reliably. The key is an unusual blank that is hard to find and hard to reproduce. There are other threads here addressing this problem.
      Thanks for the input, but the odd thing is that it would do it with both keys that came with the car from the dealer. If it was one key, would it then do it with the other key? I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead and change the ignition cylinder lock key first, but again i'm just stabbing in the dark here. Hopefully it works.

Thanks
      Solution Found. For those having this same problem, I was able to get the problem fixed by replacing the ignition cylinder. Went to a dealer, ordered the ignition cylinder which came with a new key. Took the cylinder out by following online YouTube videos on removing ignition cylinders, which is not very hard, and put the new cylinder in. Problem fixed. One last note, to have your keyless lock and entry work just open the old key, take the chip out, and put it in the new key. Your new key will only work to turn the car on and lock/unlock remotely, but not to unlock the car manually. Your door locks will still only work with your old key, so I suggest not throwing away your old key if you ever think you will need to open your car manually.