• AveoForum decals - get one free, or buy
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 13

    Thread: What is the torque specifications for the valve cover bolts for a 2004 chevrolet aveo

    1. #1
      Banned
      Join Date
      Dec 2012
      Location
      us
      Posts
      1
      Garage empty: add car

      What is the torque specifications for the valve cover bolts for a 2004 chevrolet aveo

      What is the torque specifications for the valve cover bolts for a 2004 chevrolet aveo?







    2. #2
      Senior Member Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2011
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      249
      Garage empty: add car
      Removal & Installation

      1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
      2. Remove the engine cover bolts and cover.
      3. Disconnect the breather tube from the valve cover.
      4. Disconnect the crankcase ventilation tube from the valve cover.
      5. Disconnect the camshaft position (CMP) sensor connect.
      6. Disconnect all of the necessary vacuum lines.
      7. Disconnect the ignition wires from the spark plugs.
      8. Remove the valve cover bolts.
      9. Remove the valve cover
      10. Remove the valve cover gasket from the valve cover.
      11. Apply a small amount of gasket sealant to the corners of the front camshaft caps and the top of the rear valve cover to cylinder head seal.

      To install:

      1. Install the new valve cover gasket to the valve cover.
      2. Install the valve cover.
      3. Install the valve cover bolts.
      4. Tighten the valve cover bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
      5. Connect the ignition wires from the spark plugs.
      6. Connect all of the necessary vacuum lines.
      7. Connect the CMP sensor connector
      8. Connect the crankcase ventilation tube to the valve cover
      9. Connect the breather tube from the valve cover
      10. Install the spark plug cover.
      11. Install the spark plug cover bolts.
      12. Tighten the engine cover bolts to 27 inch lbs. (3 Nm).
      13. Connect the negative battery cable

    3. #3
      would this be the same for a 2007 aveo and what sequence do i use like start in the middle and work out?

    4. #4
      Administrator Daox's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Location
      Wisconsin
      Posts
      1,804
      Sequence doesn't matter for the valve cover bolts, only the head bolts.

    5. #5
      Senior Member Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2011
      Location
      Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      249
      Garage empty: add car
      Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
      would this be the same for a 2007 aveo ?
      Yes it is the same.

    6. #6

      klunk

      Quote Originally Posted by Aveo5_boy View Post
      Yes it is the same.
      thanks for that reply i did not have a inch /lbs torque wrench i was told to finger tighten bolts then rachetb tighten another 90 degrees which i did i see no leaks although i dont like doing that you really dont know how tight the bolts are i will get the inch / lb torque wrench and do it right

    7. #7
      Junior Member NolaGal's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2013
      Location
      New Orleans, LA
      Posts
      8
      Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
      would this be the same for a 2007 aveo and what sequence do i use like start in the middle and work out?
      Yep - 89 inch pounds is the spec we found when replacing the VC gasket on my 2007 Aveo. We couldn't find a sequence (nice to know it doesn't matter, Daox) but we started in the middle and worked out, alternating L/R). It's been over two weeks now and no more leaks!

    8. #8

      cool

      Quote Originally Posted by NolaGal View Post
      Yep - 89 inch pounds is the spec we found when replacing the VC gasket on my 2007 Aveo. We couldn't find a sequence (nice to know it doesn't matter, Daox) but we started in the middle and worked out, alternating L/R). It's been over two weeks now and no more leaks!
      thanks for your response i ended up finger tight then another ninety degrees it was a sunday and could not locate the inch torque wrench

    9. #9
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Northeast
      Posts
      612
      Garage empty: add car
      Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
      thanks for your response i ended up finger tight then another ninety degrees it was a sunday and could not locate the inch torque wrench
      I think if someone spends all day turning wrenches, and does the same jobs repeatedly, they can probably get very good at "estimating" torques. Being an amature DIY mechanic, I don't have any confidence in my ability to torque accurately by hand. The extra length of the torque wrench creates different leverage, and this can cause a shorter handled wrench to be apples-to-oranges (to me anyway). Although I've done other similar gaskets having just about the same torque spec, I'm always a bit surprised how these rubber gaskets seem to settle in, as the bolts get turned down. I end up making more turns than I originally would have expected, in order to get to the specified torque. So, that being said, finger-tight + 90 degrees SOUNDS like not enough to me. But who knows - maybe your fingers are a lot stronger than mine are . Bottom line is a loose gasket would cause leaks, and your spark plugs wells to get filled up with oil, so you might want to consider buying the inch wrench and checking the torque, in order to make sure this doesn't occur.

    10. #10

      wrenchs

      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      I think if someone spends all day turning wrenches, and does the same jobs repeatedly, they can probably get very good at "estimating" torques. Being an amature DIY mechanic, I don't have any confidence in my ability to torque accurately by hand. The extra length of the torque wrench creates different leverage, and this can cause a shorter handled wrench to be apples-to-oranges (to me anyway). Although I've done other similar gaskets having just about the same torque spec, I'm always a bit surprised how these rubber gaskets seem to settle in, as the bolts get turned down. I end up making more turns than I originally would have expected, in order to get to the specified torque. So, that being said, finger-tight + 90 degrees SOUNDS like not enough to me. But who knows - maybe your fingers are a lot stronger than mine are . Bottom line is a loose gasket would cause leaks, and your spark plugs wells to get filled up with oil, so you might want to consider buying the inch wrench and checking the torque, in order to make sure this doesn't occur.
      yes absolutly correct i do plan on getting a inch torque wrench i used to work for a gal doing hvac and i borrowed hers for a day when i was rebuilding my harley the clutch plates needed to be torqued to a inch lb torque it worked perfectly its just right now money is tight i have gone back and checked the wells where the spark plugs are and no oil so what i did is ok for now and i will be rechecking perioudically until i get that wrench and set it then i know its right



    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Torque Specifications
      By 2006aveo in forum Troubleshooting and Maintenance
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 08-20-2013, 12:08 AM
    2. Needing to buy valve cover bolts
      By classic67 in forum For Sale / Wanted
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 11-05-2012, 06:16 PM
    3. ALL torque specifications manual?
      By gonecg in forum General Discussion
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 07-14-2012, 05:12 PM
    4. 2012 Chevrolet Sonic specifications
      By MetroMPG in forum Chevrolet Sonic forum
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: 06-19-2012, 02:20 PM
    5. Chevrolet Aveo specifications, 2004 through 2011
      By MetroMPG in forum General Discussion
      Replies: 28
      Last Post: 05-26-2012, 11:46 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •