•  

Thread: Strange and Sudden Electrical Problems

web
      What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Strange and Sudden Electrical Problems

I could REALLY use some help here. Even my mechanic is baffled!

It all started about 2 weeks ago... One of the headlamps wouldn't come on, but with the hi-beams on both lights worked. I replaced the lo-beam fuse and everything worked just fine.

Then about a week later I noticed that the keyless entry was getting a little weak. The horn wouldn't honk as loud and then the keyless entry just didn't work one morning. I figured the battery was going bad or that I was starting to have alternator issues so I went and had them tested. Everything looked good and the keyless entry started working again.

That brings us to today. I used the keyless entry to get into the car, put the car in reverse and then drive and started on my merry little way. I get about two miles down the road and noticed that the speedometer wasn't moving. So I pulled over and shut the car off (my father-in-law owns a Chevy Silverado and had the problem before and shutting it off and starting it usually, temporarily, fixes it). Once I restarted the car, the speedometer still didn't work and now I couldn't get the car out of park.

So I shut the car off again and tried to pull my key out of the ignition to use the shift lock release, but I couldn't get the key out of the ignition! So i ended up using a screwdriver to use the shift lock release to get the car out of park and drive home. Once I got home I quickly looked on this forum from my phone and saw that I could remove the radio / clock fuse and pull my key out. I tried that and got my key out of the ignition.

On the way home I noticed that none of my instrument panel gauges work, although the lights on the instrument panels are working. The wipers only work on medium and high settings, not low. Brake lights don't work. And the one headlamp, lo-beam light is not working again.

I called a mechanic friend of mine to see if he could take a look at it. He's going out of town so didn't have a lot of time to look, but he couldn't find the problem. He noticed that the fuse I had replaced about 2 weeks ago was blown again so he replaced it. When I had to drive my car again everything started to work (except shifting the out of park and possibly removing the key from the ignition but I'm not sure since the fuse for the radio / clock was still removed ). I got a few miles down the road (heading back home) and everything quit working again.

I think I've listed all the issues. If anyone has any idea what could be causing these problems I'd really like to hear them.

For anyone that made it this far reading, THANK YOU!

2007 Aveo Sedan

Last edited by web; 06-02-2012 at 12:17 AM.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Something is shorting out somewhere, that would be my guess. If the fuse keeps going out, then something is burning it out, could be any number of things. Someone I know had a problem with their saturn, a power lock relay was draining the battery. Has nothing to do with your problems, but it is a good example on how anything could be causing these issues. The safety switch may be going bad/causing problems, I would look there.

Thanks
      Did u ever resolve this issue? I am having the same problem word for word, let me know if you have come up with anything please.

web
      Thanks
      I did find the solution. Its super simple. And keep in mind that its not a permanent fix, only Chevy can do that. Basically I opened up the fuse box and unplugged the wiring harness. I found one that had been overheated and corroded. I've heard of wiring harnesses that were burnt, but thankfully mine was still ok. I cleaned off the corrosion, put everything back together and it worked great. Here's where I find the idea:SIDE JOB: Chevy Aveo lights not working « Acura Integra Tips and DIY