•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sea Foam Problem - Engine won't turn over

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by bgoldstuff View Post
      Why not Rabbit, Do you use something else or have different preventive maintenance practices ?
      I have torn apart many engines, I have not yet had one that I owned have any carbon build up "associated" with why you would need sea foam. It is mostly just a oil mixed with rubbing alcohol, why would you run your engine on that? I would run straight denatured alcohol before putting oil in it. Now I had one car with oil carbon build up inside the block, into the intake. I wouldn't sea foam this. I would fix the problem and put a catch can on the car. Seafoam is also unclear about "proper use" for what will not harm your cat. If you think blowing white smoke out of your exhaust is good for your o2 or CAT, explain to me why. To me it is the equivalent of expecting the engine to run on motor oil and/or diesel fuel.

Thanks
      +1 to rabbits info.

I just pulled apart a 06 1.6 lump with 239k miles on it. It was amazingly clean for the miles, I'm not really sure either what the pour in solvents do aside from stir things up, that don't cause any running issues. these little motors are pretty efficient if maintained by oil and filter changes.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Rabbit..... Not trying to start or stir any friction, was just curious as to your thoughts and practices on these types of additives. I am with you 100% as far as what good does it do to your O2 or Cat, to be blowing white smoke out your exhaust from this Sea Foam.

If I have a Carbon issue, I will mist water into the carb or TB at high RPM until the engine quits running. Then after 30 minutes I restart it and do it again if need be.

If the engine is low miles and has had low operating temps and short drives, yeah this works, it does not on a high mileage worn out engine. IMO...Routine service maintenance is always your best choice over any engine additives.

Now having just said that.... What's your thoughts on fuel system additives ?

Gurren Lagann Pilot GrambleShmou's Avatar
      Thanks
      I was only ever told to use Seafoam on 2 stroke engines. I used it on my waverunner when it ran poorly, which ended up being moisture in the cylinder.

It still doesn't run like the other one.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by GrambleShmou View Post
      I was only ever told to use Seafoam on 2 stroke engines. I used it on my waverunner when it ran poorly, which ended up being moisture in the cylinder.

It still doesn't run like the other one.
      All to often people react to others advice out of panic and desperation for a quick cheap fix to their problems,Then sadly pay a very dear price in the end for doing so.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      I had a turbo Mazda that failed emissions 3 straight times, by reading the tail pipe. 3 cans of sea foam later the amount were significantly lower and it passed. Most quick fixes don't work, but I believe sea foam doesn't harm ur vehicle, in my case it helped, or at least covered up my problem

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Pooh Man View Post
      I had a turbo Mazda that failed emissions 3 straight times, by reading the tail pipe. 3 cans of sea foam later the amount were significantly lower and it passed. Most quick fixes don't work, but I believe sea foam doesn't harm ur vehicle, in my case it helped, or at least covered up my problem
      Yes, indeed. By your own admission, it covered up your problem to pass a government mandated emissions test.

I have no quarrel with that.
      Last edited by Thymeclock; 10-23-2014 at 01:49 AM.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      I have torn apart many engines, I have not yet had one that I owned have any carbon build up "associated" with why you would need sea foam. It is mostly just a oil mixed with rubbing alcohol, why would you run your engine on that? I would run straight denatured alcohol before putting oil in it. Now I had one car with oil carbon build up inside the block, into the intake. I wouldn't sea foam this. I would fix the problem and put a catch can on the car. Seafoam is also unclear about "proper use" for what will not harm your cat. If you think blowing white smoke out of your exhaust is good for your o2 or CAT, explain to me why. To me it is the equivalent of expecting the engine to run on motor oil and/or diesel fuel.
      When macho guys see white smoke coming out of their exhaust after pouring in a touted additive, they think they've "cleaned" their engine. It makes them feel good about taking a supposedly positive action. (Like a suppository? )

Not that it would necessarily do much harm to an engine. But does it do any good?

Probably not. It's a palliative.

(For those who are familiar with that word, it might be fun to look it up.)

Thanks
      Too bad the original poster never came back and said what the problem was. I found this thread looking for something else, and I'm curious.

What's wrong with my car? FooFsputter's Avatar
      Thanks
      I used sea foam one time in my tractor. Ended up rebuilding the fuel system. Nasty stuff if you ask me. Didn't stop from turning over though. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12