•  

Thread: Rough idle and check engine light after car wash

What's wrong with my car? NolaGal's Avatar
      Thanks

Rough idle and check engine light after car wash

HEEEELP!

My 2007 Aveo 5-speed has been occasionally idling a tiny bit rough for a few weeks (when it got under 100 RPM), and I've been meaning to do some troubleshooting before it got worse, but I hadn't gotten to it. Otherwise it runs perfectly. However, I just took it through the car wash and on the way home (a 5 mile drive, partial highway) the check engine light started flashing and the idle was AWFUL! I had a hard time accelerating. It was especially bad going from 1st to 2nd gear and from 4th to 5th (don't know if that matters.) The car was very "jumpy".

I came home, got on Google, and then checked the plugs and wires to see if anything was wet from the car wash, which I couldn't find any evidence of. One of the plugs was dirty, so I cleaned it. I also disconnected and re-connected the battery. At first it seemed better, so I drove around the block, but then it got quite jumpy again and the idle is going down VERY low, under 50 RPM and it feels like it might turn off. I just brought it home and parked it until I get more information. It's too late to take it anywhere tonight anyway.

I hate trying to deal with mechanics, which is why I ended up on this forum earlier in the year. My husband and I changed the serpentine belt, timing belt, and water pump ourselves a few months ago, with great success. I've also replaced the valve cover gasket and the intake manifold. I love working on the car and really want to fix this, but I don't want to damage the engine if you guys think I'm out of my league. I am willing to try a lot of things before I give in and take it to a shop, though.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
      Val

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Knowing what code the check engine light it telling you about would be helpful. Any autopart store should be able to pull the code for you for free. I suggest you go instead of your husband. For you they will just pull the code, for him they will hand him the scanner and say good luck. Sexist, but that's how it goes, at least around here. The problem could be a short or bad connection in any one of a dozen places, but if we get the code that should narrow it down quite a bit.

Thanks
      Yes, I do plan to do that, I'm just really nervous about driving it even a couple of miles w/the way it's acting. I'll start it up in the morning and see if I feel like it will make it. Otherwise, I may wait 'till my husband gets back in town this weekend so I won't have to deal with a potentially sucky situation by myself.

Good point about the sexism issue, although the last time we had to do that the parts store employee was female (and my husband flirted with her, lol!)

Thanks
      The code was from the oxygen sensor, but my step-dad and the guy at the store both said to try fuel-injection cleaner. I did and the whole problem cleared up within a few miles. I reset the battery and no more CE light!! It's actually running better than it has in months. I had just filled up right before the car wash, so it seems like I got a bad tank of gas and it had nothing to do with going through the car wash. I only buy top-tier gas, but it just happens sometimes, apparently.

I'm quite relieved!

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Did you happen to find out what was wrong? I have a 2010 46,000 and is doing the same thing!!! Thank You

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by LJLeach View Post
      Did you happen to find out what was wrong? I have a 2010 46,000 and is doing the same thing!!! Thank You
      Look up above your post. Hers coded for an O2 sensor and she put in fuel injector cleaner and it cleaned up. Suggestion is going to Oreilly's or Autozone and get them to check for a code and see where to start from there. I suggest if it is a 02 Sensor then buy it either at RockAuto.com or you will pay 20 dollars more in cost that is if you can wait. You can get some cleaner for the Idle air solenoid and clean it as well and check all your plugs. The solonoid is located inside the air intake hose from the breather. Dirt there will make it run rough too. Good luck and let us know.

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 05Aveo View Post
      Look up above your post. Hers coded for an O2 sensor and she put in fuel injector cleaner and it cleaned up. Suggestion is going to Oreilly's or Autozone and get them to check for a code and see where to start from there. I suggest if it is a 02 Sensor then buy it either at RockAuto.com or you will pay 20 dollars more in cost that is if you can wait. You can get some cleaner for the Idle air solenoid and clean it as well and check all your plugs. The solonoid is located inside the air intake hose from the breather. Dirt there will make it run rough too. Good luck and let us know.
      Been to the garage 3 times, first time...codes read misfired, cracked 2 plug, all plugs replaced, ran good for about a week and now loses power going up hill, light flashes, took it back to garage, NO codes. Ran it a few more days, same thing, light flashes when going up hill, light was on for 5 days, got it into garage, NO codes. Added fuel injector cleaner already but will metion 02 sensor and all other suggestions to mechanic. Thanks