•  

Thread: Is this a reasonable estimate to fix my car?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Is this a reasonable estimate to fix my car?

Hi,
      Recently the check engine light came on in my car. I got some new tires at PepBoys and they told me that it was just the 02 sensor and it would cost me 180 bucks to fix. I decided not to go there because the last time I took a previous car there for the same problem, it was never fixed. I took it to another place and 500 dollars later the check engine light stayed on. So I figured I would take it to the dealer.

The dealer said that it had a faulty air temperature sensor and and needed an 02 sensor. Chevy said it would cost 619 dollars to fix the two. My question is this: Is this a reasonable estimate or do I risk taking my car to pepboys bc it will be cheaper?

Also, I need a tail light and they told me it was 350 dollars plus labor. I went online and I can get a tail light for 50 bucks? Is this normal?

Thanks!

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: Is this a reasonable estimate to fix my car?

the tailight is a piece of cake, that is a scam there, as for the sensor, i would take it to a small town mechanic if possible, that is going to be the cheapest way and probaly the most honest way

Thanks

Replacing the O2 sensor is a piece of cake. All you need is a large adjustable wrench. Maybe a wrench to take the heat shield off its the upstream sensor.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

buy your own taillight, a member here just wrote a great how to on changing the bulbs, so buy the $50 ebay light and follow that and replace it yourself.

based on the prices and your wording it sounds like you already replaced the o2 sensor? which one, not that i expect you to know. But it sounds like they either put the wrong one in and its the other turning on the light (theres only two) which would be there fault. or you got a bad aftermarket piece which would have come with some sort of warranty. so and replacement (attempt #2) should be free, for the part at least. or were you talking about the previous car?

anyhow i find it suspicious that two sensors could go at the same time like this. have you had the light long? they do not really interact. so i doubt one faulted into the other. Do you know which codes came up? i'm not saying it is not mpossible, but two sensor codes could point to another problem..

Do you know anyone who is handy? try it yourself?

its $53 dollars shipped for the o2 sensor at http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/ and its unthreading it like one pig bolt, its easy to find, and its also onlyone plug..

The temp sensor is like $15 if i am looking up the right one, and simply plugs in and is pushed into your intake..

that would save you about $500 and would only take like 20-30 minutes.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

lol i didnt see it was an air temp sensor

those are some of the easist fixes that can be done

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

dissconnect the battery for like 30 minutes and see if it goes away 1st. tails lamps DIY same with senor o2.

small town mechanics are usually better

Silver Bullet~
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3360111/1

Silverado Ext cab 02
      Accord Ex 94
      Aveo Ls 06