•  

Thread: Radiator smoking?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Radiator smoking?

I searched the forums, and I saw a couple threads about this, but I am not certain I actually saw a cause.

The past two days, while driving to work, I had some smoke coming from under the hood.
      I shrugged it off as the TEMP Gauge was never going over the half mark, and I had just changed the oil and spilled a small amount of oil on the header, so i thought it was just burning off.

This morning, though, it was a healthy plume of white smoke coming from under the hood.

TEMP gauge still not spiking, hell, not even creeping over the half mark.

I pop the hood, and from midway up the radiator to the bottom of the radiator, there is white smoke (what looks like) simply emanating from the radiator.
      It looked like the smoke is just coming from all over the radiator, and of course, the strong antifreeze smell is apparent.

I had filled the antifreeze reservoir when I did the oil change, two days ago, as it was empty, and the smoking started then.

I have seen no leaks in my driveway, or parking spot at work.

I do not see antifreeze oozing, or seeping from the radiator.

I am not really interested in having to dedicate a day of my upcoming vacation to replacing the radiator on this car.

Any suggestions?

Should I maybe try to old school "Stop Leak" method, and see if that does anything?

But then, since there is no actual Radiator Cap, where would I even put that in?
      In the reservoir?

Fun stuff, on the horizon!

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      IMO your rad has a leak somewhere in the middle, and the coolant that you added is now exiting at that leak. I'd never use stop leak, unless it's just about time to take it to the boneyard anyway, but that's just me. Changing the rad on a 5 speed would not be much of a job, and you can buy a rad online for under $100. Your vehicle, your choice.

Thanks
      I just got the new radiator, yesterday, for the Aveo, and was planning to plop it in, but as I am inspecting the new radiator, I had to pump the brakes.

I bought it from RockAuto (first time) and chose the radiator that fit my configuration (5-speed manual, with air conditioning) and I purchased model # APDI/PRO 8012873.

BUT, I know I messed up, by not looking at the picture/ "more info" tab for this radiator.
      There is a brass fitting, with a rubber cap below the lower radiator hose connection.

Looking at the rubber cap, there is NO WAY this cap is going to remain in place, once the car is running.

Does anyone know if I will be safe just getting a plug from the hardware store and inserting it here?
      There is another connection above, where the small hose connects to the radiator, but that has a plug in place already.

I can't take my wife's Odyssey to work another day, cause she needs it, so I need to figure this out today.

Here are a couple pics of the culprit.

Thanks.

Name:  20170912_203329_HDR.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  314.3 KBName:  20170912_203338_HDR.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  305.0 KB

Thanks
      Upon further review (i.e. The Masterful Google machine) the two additional fittings that were on this radiator were for oil cooler/ transmission cooler options that my particular Aveo does not need.
      According to what I could find, there was/is no need to cap off these fittings, as they act like a radiator within a radiator for the oil cooler/transmission cooler function.

Without further ado, I installed the new radiator, and filled the overflow bottle, let it run for about ten minutes, and got nice, toasty warm arm blowing from the vents, and wrapped everything up.

Other than waiting a full day longer to receive the radiator than expected, I would put this job on a technical level of EASY (for an Aveo that is a 5 speed manual, wit Air Conditioning), and work interval time of about THREE Hours total.

That includes taking your time, jacking up the car to disconnect the lower radiator hose, and unplugging the fan from the electrical connection, and the re-install.

One key note: I saw two different YouTube videos that showed the mechanic being able to pull out the old radiator with the fan still in-place.
      My header assembly had (what I assume) is the oxygen sensor on the front, and the fan and radiator would not come out together.

Fortunately, the fan is only held on by two 10mm screws, so that was an easy removal, also.

Peace-of-mind, just remove that fan, first.