•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power door locks malfunctioning

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Power door locks malfunctioning

Hi folks, I've got a 2007 Aveo5 hatchback, and for the last few months my power doors have been making a clicking sound every once in awhile (maybe once every few times the car is driven). They weren't locking or unlocking, just making some random noises on occassion. When my wife and I took a month long trip, we came back to find that the battery was completely dead, and wouldn't hold a charge after it was jumped. It was about time to replace the battery anyway, so no big deal.

Well, when we replaced the battery, it turned out to be faulty and blew a bunch of fuses out, such as the windshield wiper fuse, the 100A alternator fuse, and a few others. Anyway, we got a good battery and replaced all the fuses, and for the most part the car is working normally again. However, the power door locks are now pratically going berserk, the sounds are much louder and they are more frequent. Also, they are causing a current drain on the battery; about 650mA. So I had to yank that fuse so it doesn't drain it down.

Anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this issue? I can't find a location for a power door lock relay, or any sort of wiring diagram. There may be a short somewhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks
      I know this is an old thread, but did you ever get a solution to this issue? My son has a 2008 Aveo 5 and recently the door locks started clicking repeatedly after the alarm system is armed by the keyless entry FOB. It seems as if the RKE system is trying to re-lock all of the doors every second or so. It won't do it if the drivers door is left unlocked. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions for diagnosing/fixing it?

Thanks
      Kharon--same issue here on 2008 Aveo 5. 2008 Aveo 5 hatchback. We replaced the trunk actuator but still happening. Did you or anyone find a solution?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by bgreeneee1 View Post
      Kharon--same issue here on 2008 Aveo 5. 2008 Aveo 5 hatchback. We replaced the trunk actuator but still happening. Did you or anyone find a solution?
      Did some quick tests. Theory - the drivers door lock mechanism feeds back to the under dash control module when the security system is armed. If the drivers door mech does not tell the ctrl mod that the door is secure, the module repeatedly tries to activate the lock solenoids on all 5 doors. I would open the drivers door inside panel and use a meter to check it before ordering parts. I'll post results when I get around to that. Until then, I pulled the fuse so the solenoids don't wear out, and I'm open to any info that will confirm or debunk my theory.

Thanks
      Having the same issue on 2009...car acts like it's possessed. Lock doors with remote and they go nuts...unlocking and locking repeatedly....when you can get it to stop it there is a remaining click.

Thanks
      I searched the forum for a solution to this problem... several owners have posted about it, but nobody has reported back with a solution.

Thanks
      I joined this site just for this thread. My daughter's 2007 aveo 5 is doing the same exact craziness with the power door locks as others have described in this thread. Please post if you have found any answers. Thanks!!!
      Last edited by Comporder1; 08-22-2017 at 01:20 AM.

HJB
      Thanks
      Kharon, I have a 2007 Aveo 5 with the same lock issues noted in this thread. I brought the car to the local Chevy dealer, and after a day of trying (unsuccessfully) to find the root of the problem they threw their wrenches in the air and gave up! I took your advice and pulled the remote door lock fuse. At least I don't have to deal with the constant lock "clicking" while I drive. I'll keep hunting for a solution to the problem - but no luck so far.

Thanks
      I first tried replacing the door lock relay, but I managed to fix my daughter's car by replacing the driver door latch assembly. Since it also serves as the only interior lock/unlock switch, I was able to troubleshoot to that component. You can test this is your problem by simply unplugging the 4 wire connector from the assembly (everything will work without this connected except the ability to lock all the doors using the driver door lock). I tried contact cleaner in the sensor portion of the assembly. It helped some, but ultimately needed to be replaced. I found the best price on it from ebay (be sure to check that it is compatible with your model car). Everything is working perfectly now. After further inspection of the latch assembly, I found that the lock actuator portion could in-fact be replaced separately from the latch itself. It would take a little motivation to get them separated and put back together. I found the actuator on rockauto for a good price. It would save $40 going this route.

I hope this helps others out there!
      Last edited by Comporder1; 11-04-2017 at 07:53 PM.

HJB
      Thanks
      Comporder1
      This helps a lot. Many thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast