•  

Thread: Overheating of 2009 Aveo5

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Overheating of 2009 Aveo5

Daughter was driving home and she noticed that the temp gauge in the car was pegged at "H" and immediately after "smoke" started pouring from the hood. She immediately pulled off the road shut the car off.
      Once I got the car home and looked under the hood I noticed the smell of antifreeze and the residue of the dried antifreeze all over the engine compartment (I am assuming this was the "smoke"). The reservoir was almost empty so I filled it back up and started the car. The code indicator came on and upon checking, it recorded a P00b7. I have let the car sit at idle and the temperature never rises above midmark. A quick check online states either the thermostat or water pump..... Looks like the thermostat will run me about 80 bucks and seems like a quick install… however, the water pump is a different story..Car has 76,000 miles on it. Any recommendations?

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      If I remember correctly, others have had issues with the coolant tank caps going bad.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Hi fscott,

I understand that your daughter's Aveo is experiencing some difficulties. Even though I am not a certified technician and I'm unable to offer technical advice, I will like to look further into this concern. If I can be of any extra assistance feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name. I will be happy to help with your concern.

Kristen A.
      Chevrolet Customer Care
      Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      +1 on the cap. I also had a leak in the seam of the overflow tank- it only leaked while under stress, and took me nearly a year to figure it out.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      The factory thermostat came with a plastic housing. This is one of the few times that the aftermarket part is better than the factory supplied one. Refill the system & make sure it is the thermostat leaking, but it's a common problem with these cars. There is most likely a crack in the plastic. It won't leak until the engine is working really hard. Drive around the block if ya need to, but I think you'll be able to see it in the driveway, if ya look closely, while it's full & hot. The dead giveaway would be the factory plastic housing. If it's still there, it'll eventually break! You should be able to find it a lot cheaper, though. around $40.00.