•  

Thread: OBD DTC codes? Crank but no start, but no Codes.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

OBD DTC codes? Crank but no start, but no Codes.

Hi again all,

My car wont start after leaving the keys in ignition and draining battery (now charged it).

I plugged in the diagnostic OBD2 and it returns no codes.

My question is, would the immobiliser issues cause any codes to show? Equally, would faulty spark plugs show a code?

Also.... There is a small amount of oil in the spark plug well. Is this OK?

Many thanks!

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Post the year, mileage, and equipment your car has. There are too many variables to cover the important suggestions.

Alex, I am no expert but I have discovered there are "OBD2 Global Codes" (lower priced scanners find) and manufacture specific codes that low priced scanners do NOT find.

"OBD2 Global Codes" are the codes that are emission standard requirements so they fall under the OBD2emission regulations all manufactures have to meet in the USA. Special engine codes and probably some anti theft codes do not fall under the USA OBD2 emission requirements. I have a 2008 with an air bag light on. I tried 5 scanners priced under $200 and none of the scanners can even communicate with the "Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) because the SRS falls outside the emission requirements.

Different countries require different standards. I am in the USA. Some models of Aveos do not have RFID chips in the keys and in some models it is an option. In Canada, keys have to have RFID chips. I don't know what UK requires as far as anti-theft devices in keys.

Try disconnecting the battery for 30 min. Make sure you use a key that came with your car when it was new OR if you had to reprogram the key / ignition switch.

If the engine misses, then it should show a code as a miss-fire. I had oil in the spark plug wells and my engine ran as good as new. If you replace the spark plugs, use what type the engine had from the factory. My engine ran poorly on the higher priced spark plugs so i bought the low priced copper core spark plugs and it runs much better.

Last edited by OG-Lou; 06-16-2018 at 05:36 AM.