•  

Thread: Loud noise sounds like coming from back end

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Loud noise sounds like coming from back end

I have an 06' Aveo 5door, auto trans. I have a really loud noise that sounds like its coming from the back end of the car but I guess it could still be the front(telescoping noise maybe). The noise starts at about 25mph and only gets louder, at about 60-70 its so loud I can still hear it with the radio all the way up and the windows down. It started right after I had 2 new front tires installed. Another symptom that could be important is that it gets way louder when I turn right and goes away completely when I turn left. Is there any suspension part that could be causing this or is it almost definitely a bad left wheel bearing? Because I jacked the back of the car up and there's no grinding or resistance from the back tires when u spin them by hand, but like I said could be up front and just sounds like its in the back.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      What does it sound like? Hum, grinding, clicking, banging, thumping. The fact that it changes with turning, definitely points towards wheel bearing.

Grab the top of each tire and shake. If there's play, double check the lug nuts, shake again. Wheel bearing. These generally hum, or grind (depending on how bad they are). You can sometimes hear a click or pop once when turning a particular direction when they settle. Sounds like metal on metal.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      did you get an alignment after getting two tires done? did they swap tires to the rear or are the rears tires the same as before? (even swap sides?)

if the wheel bearing or anything were going bad, the noise wouldnt have just started, loudly it would have come gradual..

unever tire wear getting sent to the back of the car, by say, putting the best of the 4 tires on the reat, and putting the two new on front, if the rears are worn, feathered, etc they could make noise, also the front tires could make noise to depending on what you bough and the alignment..

but as exodus asked, what does it sound like? swap the tires front to back to (same side) and see if the noise changes, or goes away.. it almost sounds like an unbalance tire or bad alignment.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      if the wheel bearing or anything were going bad, the noise wouldnt have just started, loudly it would have come gradual..
      I have a conflicting experience, albeit in an 18' step van. Blew out the front passenger wheel bearing. Didn't hear anything out of the ordinary until 10-20 miles before it exploded. Those things make a ton of funny noises when they're running right... and so do my Aveos.

but as exodus asked, what does it sound like? swap the tires front to back to (same side) and see if the noise changes, or goes away.. it almost sounds like an unbalance tire or bad alignment.
      I would take each wheel/tire out of the equation one by one by replacing them with the donut and see if the sound goes away or changes (my donut hums).

Trying to diagnose sounds over the internet is a goose chase. Eliminate possibilities one by one in order of difficulty.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Donut on my car= frame on ground..

If you switch two front to rear and the noise follows, you flip those two and see what happens, if not, it could still be alignment which you can not diagnose with the donut on, but we are trying to figure tires first as well..

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Ok thanks guys, I was thinking about swapping the front tires to the back because ya when I had the 2 tires replaced they put the better of the 2 tires on the back. And ya I shook the back tires like that and nothing, they're nice and tight no play or anything and they roll perfectly when you roll them by hand. And as far as what the noise sounds like, its a humming noise, sounds like I got 44 inch mud tires on it or something lol first time ive experienced a humming out of a wheel bearing if thats what it turns out to be, the past 2 times its been a metal on metal grinding.

Thanks
      front wheel bearing is going bad that huming is tire wobbling a lil as u drive as it gets worse at like 15 to 30 sounds like horses galloping

Thanks
      I had this happen to me two years ago a loud sound coming from the back we thought it was the brake shoes needing replacing but it kept doing it. It was only after installing a new tire on the rear passenger side did I discover the Rear wheel bearing was bad. After installing a new rear wheel hub because you can't order the wheel bearing it didn't make that sound again.