•  

Thread: Looking for a list of allowable/recommended power steering fluid options

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Looking for a list of allowable/recommended power steering fluid options

I wanted to top up the power steering fluid (PSF) reservoir on my daughter's car and noticed that a Dextron III or better fluid was specified in the owners manual.

Is there a list of allowable fluids that are compatable for use somewhere on this forum? I tried the search but did not come up with much.

In addition to the Aveo I maintain 2 Dodge Ram Cummins diesel pickups and a Honda Element and have made it a practice at least on the trucks to draw out the fluid in the pump reservoir and replace it with new fluid at each oil change to help keep the PSF is good condition. The standard range of power steering fluids are used for this.

Is the standard type power steering fluid allowable and compatible for use in our Aveo's?

Thanks.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

Re: Looking for a list of allowable/recommended power steering fluid options

Dexron III is an automatic transmission specificafion... as long as the bottle of power steering fluid says it meets or exceeds Dexron III, then you are fine.... not worth anybody's time to make a list of acceptable fluids... you can even put automatic transmission fluid if you like... again, just as long as it meets or exceeds Dexron III specs.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

buy a bottle of oem fluid, and then keep the lid on the power steering reservoir for the next 50k miles.

Thanks

Does anyone have a GM part # for the GM power steering fluid? Or better yet a web link to a seller with the best price? I just want to make sure I am using the same stuff as that which is in the PS reservoir.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Black Smoke Trail
      Does anyone have a GM part # for the GM power steering fluid? Or better yet a web link to a seller with the best price? I just want to make sure I am using the same stuff as that which is in the PS reservoir.
      I don't think I should answer that but I will.

Part numbers are 89020661 for a quart and 89021184 for a 16oz bottle. As for a link, you can find one yourself, or visit your local GM dealership.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks

Is anyone using the Walmart SuperTech power steering fluid?