•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Limp Mode? With no codes?!!

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Anyone have a couple used cats they can part with?

Thanks
      Its looking like I will have to purchase a new one from GM to get through cal smog. Now I understand how GM is dealing with bankrupcy. By ripping people off with parts. I have a jaguar that I just replace the cat on for 100. CA compliant tok. Unreal. Screw GM. 1200 just for one small cat and 800 for the other one. All because they used cheap spark plugs... most people assume all new plugs are good for 100k. The PO of this car was no diff. I cant blame him either. Why would modern car manufacturers use anything but long lasting plugs. This isnt 1985.

Then theres CA smog law which is completely bass ackwards.

Im done venting. For now. Not sure what Ill do with this car. Maybe junk it. GM, good for 6 years and 100k...
      Last edited by pbody; 08-24-2016 at 06:55 AM.

Thanks
      I hear ya, it does suck big time. The Ca smog Nazi scam is overwhelming when confronted with it - eco-fascism at it's finest. Any way to nag the hell out of GM to replace it on warranty? The law is 8 years, however I have never found any agency that actually enforces it, CARB claims to but I think they are all in bed together on the scam.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 06T200 View Post
      I hear ya, it does suck big time. The Ca smog Nazi scam is overwhelming when confronted with it - eco-fascism at it's finest. Any way to nag the hell out of GM to replace it on warranty? The law is 8 years, however I have never found any agency that actually enforces it, CARB claims to but I think they are all in bed together on the scam.
      Its 8 years/ 80k, which is basically no warranty... how many cats die before 80k?

Then again, how many newer cars come with copper plugs? I almost took a picture of the plugs. They were original at 103k and worn so bad that there was almost nothing left on one of them. A cylinder was not firing for a long time. This car was owned by a kid in highschool who seemed to have changed the oil a lot. Again, probably just figured a newer car should be good to 100k with modern plugs. Especially a car sold as Eco, which insinuates that it is newer technology.

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by pbody View Post
      Its 8 years/ 80k, which is basically no warranty... how many cats die before 80k?

Then again, how many newer cars come with copper plugs? I almost took a picture of the plugs. They were original at 103k and worn so bad that there was almost nothing left on one of them. A cylinder was not firing for a long time. This car was owned by a kid in highschool who seemed to have changed the oil a lot. Again, probably just figured a newer car should be good to 100k with modern plugs. Especially a car sold as Eco, which insinuates that it is newer technology.
      and you just reminded me of MY OWN Cat Converter problems; but at least the State of California isn't taking nearly $225 in SALES TAXES, pushing the amount I have to pay to $2,522; which on only $10/hr, is UNAFFORDABLE. even the aftermarket 49 state cats are out of my budget! this is what happens when you have a special snowflake of an engine that was only made for THREE model years; GM pretty much GOUGES the owners of these cars for drivetrain parts. (hell, at Scoots' current Blue Book Value, the cost of a new engine from GM is $1,131 MORE THAN WHAT THE ENTIRE CAR IS WORTH!)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010AveoLT View Post
      and you just reminded me of MY OWN Cat Converter problems; but at least the State of California isn't taking nearly $225 in SALES TAXES, pushing the amount I have to pay to $2,522; which on only $10/hr, is UNAFFORDABLE. even the aftermarket 49 state cats are out of my budget! this is what happens when you have a special snowflake of an engine that was only made for THREE model years; GM pretty much GOUGES the owners of these cars for drivetrain parts. (hell, at Scoots' current Blue Book Value, the cost of a new engine from GM is $1,131 MORE THAN WHAT THE ENTIRE CAR IS WORTH!)
      I am finding many aftermarket cats for less than $200 that would work and the car would still be environmentally friendly. Better than it was prior with the 100k stock cat. Instead I have to sell the car on ebay, if the only option is to have to buy a $1000k + cat for a car that is barely worth that much.

How does this benefit the environment? Whats the deal with there not being any approved aftermarket cats for a ULEV vehicle? I have no problem getting my jag to pass smog in CA, and that blows smoke. YetI have an economy clean vehicle and according to CA it should be junked. Stock cat is just not an option.

Ridiculous world we live in.

Thanks
      Why not just sell it for parts? Someone creative enough will find a way to get it smogged, trust me.

What's just as crazy, is I just had a new cat put on my 82 C10 Suburban because the stock one burned out after 30+ years of abuse. $140 dollars later it passes smog fine with the new cat on it. $140! Try that on your 2014 Suburban with 4 cats, OUCH! Yet, the aveo has to have some special number on the side of it's cat. It's all a complete SCAM and we buy it hook-line-sinker. Will anyone stop buying new cars due to the economic hijacking? I highly doubt it, so it will just get worse. Save that old iron if you plan to drive in the age of $5,000 catalytic converters. Seriously though, this is a HUGE problem and wrong on so many levels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12