•  

Thread: Key constantly gets stuck in son's 2009 Chevy Aveo LT

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Angry Key constantly gets stuck in son's 2009 Chevy Aveo LT

My son has a 2009 Chevrolet Aveo LT. We have been having a problem with his key getting stuck in the ignition whenever he puts it into park. The car turns off, but the key won't come out of the ignition. The first time we experienced this problem was back in October. The key would not come out of the ignition until after the car sat in the driveway all night. I took it to the service dept. at the Chevrolet dealer in Greensboro and the shifter assembly was replaced. The problem did go away for a bit; however, it still returns from time to time. Again, we have to let the car sit or drive it around and park it until the key comes out. I returned to the Chevrolet service dept. and they could not duplicate the problem and said it was operating as designed. I would love to be able to drive the car to them and actually show a stuck key, but it always comes out of the ignition by the time an apportionment is made and I get the car to the service place. Today, the key got stuck again. My wife jiggled the key while moving the steering wheel, drove the car around and the key is now out. Since the shifter has been replaced, should a new ignition lock cylinder be installed? I'm going to make another service appointment at Chevrolet. I'm getting really frustrated with this issue. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all eyes and ears.

Last edited by thoughtbeast; 01-03-2017 at 06:10 PM.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      The key interlock solenoid could be jamming or the signal is not getting there

Name:  key interlock solenoid.jpg
Views: 7677
Size:  81.7 KB

You can check with a meter or take it to a shop who will actually check both sides of a problem. Just might need some lube in there.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      Thank you for replying. I will print out your recommendation and take it with me to the Chevrolet service dept.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by xintersecty View Post
      The key interlock solenoid could be jamming or the signal is not getting there

Name:  key interlock solenoid.jpg
Views: 7677
Size:  81.7 KB

You can check with a meter or take it to a shop who will actually check both sides of a problem. Just might need some lube in there.
      I'm not disputing your advice, as it may be accurate. However, since I also own a 2009, I will say that the keys for this car are very "fussy" - the are very hard to duplicate, and hard to use. They are the worst I've ever seen on any car I've owned. The key-to-lock mating on this car is touchy, or problematic. It may be simply a mechanical problem with the key and lock itself. I'd suggest that this be looked into and resolved first, before throwing more $$$ at it.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Having torn my entire column, lock cylinder, ignition switch apart. I do not think there is much of a mechanical issue with the parts except for the fact they are simple or cheaper in design than most newer cars.

The only "mechanical" failure for the key removal is, if you can turn the wheel after shutting it off, you need to turn the wheel enough to lock the steering wheel before the key comes out. The column has about half as many points on the column to lock the steering as most cars I've torn apart. It actually has less than the column in my 75 rabbit. Depending on where you hit that point you might need to push the wheel into that radius a little further before the ignition pin is hit to allow the key to come out, as well.

The only other thing I can see going wrong, even with a deal replaced shifter is the shifter lock/neutral safety switch mechanism in the shifter. As you cannot remove the key unless the car is in park. I don't want to say push the shifter forward more to see if it allows the key to come out, but it might work that way. If so, you would need an adjustment on the shifter switch mechanism.

Thanks

Update? Was the source of the problem found?

Quote Originally Posted by thoughtbeast View Post
      My son has a 2009 Chevrolet Aveo LT. We have been having a problem with his key getting stuck in the ignition whenever he puts it into park. The car turns off, but the key won't come out of the ignition. The first time we experienced this problem was back in October. The key would not come out of the ignition until after the car sat in the driveway all night. I took it to the service dept. at the Chevrolet dealer in Greensboro and the shifter assembly was replaced. The problem did go away for a bit; however, it still returns from time to time. Again, we have to let the car sit or drive it around and park it until the key comes out. I returned to the Chevrolet service dept. and they could not duplicate the problem and said it was operating as designed. I would love to be able to drive the car to them and actually show a stuck key, but it always comes out of the ignition by the time an apportionment is made and I get the car to the service place. Today, the key got stuck again. My wife jiggled the key while moving the steering wheel, drove the car around and the key is now out. Since the shifter has been replaced, should a new ignition lock cylinder be installed? I'm going to make another service appointment at Chevrolet. I'm getting really frustrated with this issue. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all eyes and ears.
      Hey, so I'm having the exact same problem with my '09 Aveo as well. This has been going on for about 5 months and I've always been able to get the key out by messing with it, but today it got stuck again and it doesn't want to come out no matter what. Were you able to find out what exactly is wrong and were you able to get it fixed?? Thanks

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Hey ive had this exact problem for like 5 years on my 06 aveo. Frustrated me at first. But then i found out that by smacking the shifter. While in park gets the key out. I smack it towards me and hear a click and boom the keys out. Not really annoying or anything. I guess i should replace something under the shifter. But hey it works.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Newborn View Post
      Hey ive had this exact problem for like 5 years on my 06 aveo. Frustrated me at first. But then i found out that by smacking the shifter. While in park gets the key out. I smack it towards me and hear a click and boom the keys out. Not really annoying or anything. I guess i should replace something under the shifter. But hey it works.
      Yea I've tried smacking the shifter away from me and towards me nothing. This time whatever it is it's going to make me find the problem. Personally I think it is either something in the shift assembly or the ignition cylinder lock, but which one to replace?? That is the question. And now my car is dead in the driveway because the digital clock drained my battery overnight.