•  

Thread: Intermittent starter issues 2009

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Question Intermittent starter issues 2009

My son has a 2009 AVEO that has intermittent starter issues. The car was originally a leased vehicle purchased by a relative, driven little for a year or two then mostly un-used for a year. This problem occurs in hot or cold weather. The battery was replaced last year. The car does not seem to have a charging issue,battery reads about 14v at idle with lights on. When he tries to start it, sometimes the starter does not engage or turn over. The lights do not dim which to me indicates the solenoid is not engaging. He can wait a few minutes and try again and it will start fine. Most other times it cranks and starts well. He has taken it to the dealer, but, they have not offered a solution to his problem. Short of rapping the starter with a broom stick is there anything that can be done to isolate the problem when it acts up?

Thanks.

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Al.Y View Post
      My son has a 2009 AVEO that has intermittent starter issues. The car was originally a leased vehicle purchased by a relative, driven little for a year or two then mostly un-used for a year. This problem occurs in hot or cold weather. The battery was replaced last year. The car does not seem to have a charging issue,battery reads about 14v at idle with lights on. When he tries to start it, sometimes the starter does not engage or turn over. The lights do not dim which to me indicates the solenoid is not engaging. He can wait a few minutes and try again and it will start fine. Most other times it cranks and starts well. He has taken it to the dealer, but, they have not offered a solution to his problem. Short of rapping the starter with a broom stick is there anything that can be done to isolate the problem when it acts up?

Thanks.
      Hi. I am having the exact same issue with my 2006 Aveo. I only have 33K miles on it, and keep it up on the maintenance and all that, and had a new starter put in it exactly 4 years ago this week! Did you EVER get an answer to your question? Was it your starter? Or find out on your own you need something else? This is driving me nuts, and i have a feeling i am going to be getting a new starter this week...$400. Unless you found out your problem?? Let me /us know if you did. Thanks.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      You should check the relay first. its a much cheaper part, or you could just jump it and see if it cranks.

intermittent problems can still be the battery, or the terminals, a bad ground, or starter etc.