•  
    Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: i need help with the rear control arm bushing !

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

i need help with the rear control arm bushing !

Hi I have a 2007 Aveo and my rear axle or control arm bushings are shot. I know the car does not have control arms , but its the bushing that holds the rear axle to the body. I went to GM parts and they told me they only sell the whole axle and not the bushings. it does not make any sense. they tell me the only way to get the bushing is to buy the entire axle which cost around $1000. Has anyone else come across this problem ? I wanted to know if anyone here knows the specs on the bushing like length and width ? I waas gonna try to locate a control arm bushing from energy suspension or some other company like that. I hope someone here could shed some light on this problem i have.

thanks for taking the time to help me,

mike

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      this has come up a few times. i will check with my parts guy and hopefully get an answer, i know the schematic lists the bushing individually.

i can look into making some too, not sure if it would be in time to help you though.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by suffolkss409 View Post
      Hi I have a 2007 Aveo and my rear axle or control arm bushings are shot. I know the car does not have control arms , but its the bushing that holds the rear axle to the body. I went to GM parts and they told me they only sell the whole axle and not the bushings. it does not make any sense. they tell me the only way to get the bushing is to buy the entire axle which cost around $1000. Has anyone else come across this problem ? I wanted to know if anyone here knows the specs on the bushing like length and width ? I waas gonna try to locate a control arm bushing from energy suspension or some other company like that. I hope someone here could shed some light on this problem i have.

mike
      Hey Mike,
      I recently ran into the same problem in my 2008 Aveo Hatchback. From what I can see, the Bushings should be easily replaceable if they can be found. Did you find a solution?
      Thanks,
      Ohmar

Thanks
      ohmar,

no i did not find any parts for my car yet. i was gonna try the junkyard but i forgot they are probally pressed in. i would ruin it if i tried to take it out. ,

thanks mike

Thanks
      ohmar,

no i did not find any parts for my car yet. i was gonna try the junkyard but i forgot they are probally pressed in. i would ruin it if i tried to take it out. ,

thanks mike

Thanks for the reply. Now that my mechanically inclined friend has the car up on blocks, we also see that they are press-fitted in place and would be difficult to replace. Very unfortunate design. That being said, my problem appears to be that the arm shifts along the bushing axis because the bushing is sheered axially. As such, the bushing should still function to buffer vibrartions and forces applied tangentially as long as the arm can be held centered in its correct position. To achieve this goal, my friend (who is a Mechanical Engineer) has suggested washers and springs on either side to help hold it in place. We have ordered the following:

4 Packs of 2 Springs
      http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.as...2&pagenum=1216

2 Washers
      http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.as...1&pagenum=3204

They have not been installed yet, but once they are I will let you know how we fare - if you are thinking you might like to do the same.

Best of luck,
      Ohmar

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i am working on this, i have an axle coming for tear apart and measure. but it wont be a fast solution because r&d takes time..

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      Did you try the link I gave above? Here is an image that shows the parts you can get. Which parts are you referring to?

Name:  CN04590.jpg
Views: 9738
Size:  11.2 KB

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      He is looking for #3, nla since 2005. According to my multiple sources.

I was trying to locate a dealer outside the us (i figure other countries might not find it acceptable to have to replace the beam for a $15 bushing..) but the story i got was they are now vulcanized into the housing..

I am working on a solution, but my "new" beam has not shipped yet. I think the people can't figure out how to get it to me.

Thanks

mike
      I also encountered that before and it costs me a lot of money. I spend too much.

Last edited by eldercaddy; 12-21-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast