•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever had to change the heater hose?!?

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Ever had to change the heater hose?!?

Wow. I've got a leak in my heater hose (hose going from the block into the heater core). I've spent the better part of 5 hours trying to get the friggin hose clamp off the block end! WTF is up with the way this thing is laid out? It's almost dead center on the rear of the engine, under the entire manifold, above the transmission, and has some metal (or maybe hardened plastic) pipe running right across behind it where you need to get a tool in there.

Can't work above it, can't work below it, can't get a tool all the way in to get the clamp off. The best I've done is to get a stubby set of needlenose pliers on there and was able to squeeze the clamp, but because they were stubby I couldn't get enough leverage to get the clamp off!

Looks like my wife is going to miss school and work tomorrow because of this... and I may have to pay a shop to fix it. Unbelievable! This should have been a 10 minute fix.

edit - sorry should have posted that it's a 2005 LT automatic

Last edited by jimstolz76; 11-07-2010 at 11:49 PM.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      probably need an actual hose clamp tool? if its spring loaded like i imagine, and your not reusing the hose obviously just pull the hose hard (unless its on a plastic pipe) it will pop, or even cut the clamp. a very small hand holdable hack saw blade comes in handy, i have a sawzall blade with duct tape making a handle..

go luck.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Actually I did get a clamp tool. It does have a racheting piece that locks it closed, but I can't get the tool onto the clamp. Can't open it far enough because of the pipe and manifold, can't see where I'm putting the tool either. Can only get one hand on he hose so I haven't been able to yank it off by brute force. It's pretty ridiculous... I'm stumped and screwed if I can't get this fixed in the next 2 hours or so........

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      where is it leaking? cut it somewhere you can see and put an extension piece in it?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Leaking right against the block......I could only feel it, can't see it........

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      OK, need some more help. Got the hose replaced. PCV valve broke in half, so I had to pick up a new one at the dealer. Took the valve cover off, fought with the broken threads that were stuck in it, and got them out. (spun it forward a tiny bit with a 1/2" drill bit, then jammed a knife in there and backed it out). Replaced everything.

Took the car for a drive. No more leak! But now my oil light came on. That has never come on before. Also the valves are tapping pretty bad. This car does that all the time, but it seems consitently loud right now, and I'm a bit scared. The light flickered at first, then stayed on. Then after I stopped and started it it seems like it would come on at idle and when the RPMs evened out, but would go out under acceleration. There is definitely oil in there, but I need to let it sit for a few minutes to try and take an accurate reading.

Two questions:

1 - what is the tiny little "nipple" that is sticking out of the valve cover right next to the PCV valve? I swear I don't remember taking anything off of there (and I've had the valve cover off 3 times now and never remember a hose being there) but it looks a little too "clean" to have not been covered up with something. It doesn't feel like there is air coming out of it or a vacuum, but it may be too little for me to feel at idle for all I know.

2 - what would cause the oil light to come on after doing the work I did? is it possible the sensor got damaged by the water/coolant dumping onto it?

Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
      I don't remember where it goes, but I know the nipple you're talking about. On the bottom valve cover (from my 05 engine), its just to the left of the PCV valve. Perhaps someone can go look at their engine for jimstolz76. I would but I'm at work and my car isn't.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      the oil sensor is on the back of the block need the pulleys, just under the water pump. check to make sure you didnt damage it or the wiring.. if you have worse valve tapping now, is it possible you overheated? or is it just more pronounced beacuse the noise comes out that nipple now?

i wish i could help you with the nipple, but i have an ecotec. looks like a vacuum line to intake though..

Thanks
      I got a pic for ya. It just goes to a port on the intake manifold.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      How the hell would I have missed that???

I'm worried that I screwed the engine last night. The sound got better and I ended up driving around to test it out. The light came on, went out, stayed out, so after a while I decided to test it on the highway. Not long after that I started getting some VERY bad sounds...very bad... so I nursed it at the lowest RPMs I could maintain and dropped it off at a friend's house.

Any idea what that hose might do? Any chance it is to create pressure inside the valve cover? There didn't seem to be any air coming out of the nipple, so maybe that's it?? I hope????

On a serious note, how much does a rebuild or engine swap usually run? I need to be prepared for the worst...

Thanks a TON for the pics!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast