•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine and hold lights flashing

GPC
      What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Engine and hold lights flashing

I purchase a used 2005 chevy aveo about 6 months ago. The engine was replaced with a used one due to timing belt failure (before i purchase it). Since then, after a five minute ride above 60km's, the engine and hold lights will start flashing. (engine light first). The transmission will also stay in 3rd gear, only after accelerating enough for the overdrive to kick in. Stop, shut the car off and restart, everything is fine, for about another five minutes. Code P0300, random missfire shows up on my OBD2. But the car works perfect, no miss and plenty of power even in 4th gear. Checked mostly all the things i have been reading about on this site. New plugs, checked for air leaks, visually inspected wires and coil, unplugged every sensor i could think off and replugged, Compression on all four cylinders are between 185 psi to 200 psi. Today i had the car into a mechanic's shop and it was hooked up to a Dianostic Machine. The was no problems to be found. He even misted the wires and coil with soapy water just to see if there was a problem there. Since buying the car my daughter has put about 3000 km's on it (to and from school) without any problems or high fuel consumption. If there was a problem, you'd think the cat and oxygen sensors would be destroyed by now. If there was a miss in the car i would do the elimation process and replacing each item until the lights were fixed but it works and drives as good as a new one. Any ideas or reccomendations with this issue are greatly appreciated. Also is there a way i can disconnect the Hold Mode all together, i hate to use it on the highway if it remains in 3rd gear.

GPC
      Thanks
      I guess no one has any ideas or sugestions on this issue so i guess its time for me to look into similiar sites for help. Thanks anyways.

Thanks
      Sounds like you need to have a crankshaft relearn procedure done. When I swapped the 07 engine into my 05 I got the P0300 code as well and had to have this done to get rid of it.

GPC
      Thanks
      Thanks Daox, Thats the only thing i can see that would be causing this or something else with the ECM. With your 07, did you notice any problems like misses or anything? Also did you still drive it until you had the relearn done? Again, thanks for the reply.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by GPC View Post
      Thanks Daox, Thats the only thing i can see that would be causing this or something else with the ECM. With your 07, did you notice any problems like misses or anything? Also did you still drive it until you had the relearn done? Again, thanks for the reply.

I was wondering if you got that problem taken care of, because I am experiencing the exact same issues with the exact same circumstances. Only I have already done the relearn procedure. Please advise, thank you.

Thanks
      I was wondering if you got that problem taken care of, because I am experiencing the exact same issues with the exact same circumstances. Only I have already done the relearn procedure. Please advise, thank you.

GPC
      Thanks
      No such luck ak1you. Had it to the dealer, they tried a new ignition module and cleaned the valves. Still same problem. They couldn't find anything other then the P0300 code. I asked about the relearn and they said that it wasn't the issue. Sujested trying new wires, still the same. If i find out anything i will let you know, please do the same for me. Seems like the only way to a solution. Thanks

Thanks
      You got it. I've been thinking maybe the throttle body needs cleaning or replacing. Does it make any sense?

GPC
      Thanks
      Anything at this point is worth trying. I will try the cleaning in the next couple of days, due to work requirements. Keep me posted on what you find out. Thanks

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Here is something I really can't understand at all. Apparently modern cars are so tough that if a professional mechanic can't get a diagnostic handed to them from a machine, they just throw up their hands and say "duh, never seen that before" (which is same thing I would usually say). Ok, fine - it is what it is; but why can't they at least round up the usual suspects? Yes, we know that there are lots of possibilities for the P0300, but some of them are fairly well-known, and should be easy and simple for a Stealership to try (sorry about the profanity Vanessa). It's the same thing that we do, only they don't need to buy the parts. Why does an Aveo dealer not have one set of good plugs, wires, coil, cam sensor (and maybe some other easy ones I'm not thinking of) on hand, ready to try as temps. How long is it going to take a pro to swap those things out? First ask the customer if they want to pay for a part-sway try (labor only). Then, if something works, take out the temp and install a new one off the shelf - case solved. If nothing works, bill the customer for the time to install/remove the parts.
      Ok, that's the end of my useless rant. Personally, I would first try a new set of OEM plugs (regardless of how new the existing ones are). Then, maybe go to a boneyard and pick up a basketfull of parts like the ones above. Might as well try hanging parts if the shop can't figure it out

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast