•  

Thread: dimmer controlled dash lights will not turn on when headlights are on

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

dimmer controlled dash lights will not turn on when headlights are on

I have a 2010 Aveo LT hatchback with "WHB". None of the dimmer controlled dash lights come on when the headlights are on. I bought an electronic service manual from AllData. The electrical drawings are incorrect, and do not accurately reflect the actual wiring of the interior dimmer controlled dash instrument lights.
      No fuses are blown.
      I checked voltages at the dimmer switch connector with dimmer switch disconnected. terminals 1 & 3 read +5.7 volts DC, terminal 2 reads 0 volts, and is at DC ground.
      Any suggestions how to troubleshoot, or where to find valid electrical drawings for this Aveo?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Do this test. Turn on your headlights, go to the back of the car, see if your right tail light is out. Then go to the front of the car, see if your front running light in the headlight (orange light) is out. If it is then you likely have a compromised wire somewhere in the car. Check all related fuses and relays inside the car and in the engine compartment first, as those are the easiest, and then proceed to check the wiring. I posted to a thread here named "Cluster Out" with more detailed information if you want to check what I said in that post.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by shusterxyz View Post
      I have a 2010 Aveo LT hatchback with "WHB". None of the dimmer controlled dash lights come on when the headlights are on. I bought an electronic service manual from AllData. The electrical drawings are incorrect, and do not accurately reflect the actual wiring of the interior dimmer controlled dash instrument lights.
      No fuses are blown.
      I checked voltages at the dimmer switch connector with dimmer switch disconnected. terminals 1 & 3 read +5.7 volts DC, terminal 2 reads 0 volts, and is at DC ground.
      Any suggestions how to troubleshoot, or where to find valid electrical drawings for this Aveo?
      Im runing with the same problem, any ideas?

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      I hope this helps
      Name:  2010 Gauges.jpg
Views: 4832
Size:  95.0 KB
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      Yooo I have a similar problem except my dash is just intermittent, if I fiddle with the dimmer wheel just right I can get the lights to stay on for my whole 10min drive home from work. It's gotta be a loose contact somewhere around that wheel, maybe yours is the same problem but just looser. I'll post back here with what I find when I get around to investigating, hope you do the same.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I'm experiencing the same issues. The 10 amp fuse for right side illumination blows over and over as soon as my dash lamps come on. Rear right and front marker lights are not working. Ideas? Bad dimmer maybe?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Apon further inspection of my Aveo wires and bulbs (those that are not in the dash) all look good. The 10 amp rh illum fuse blows every time its replaced. The splice pack is not burnt or discolored. The drl module has been deleted and all wires under drivers side dash look good too. Any ideas?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I've torn my whole car apart looking for faulty wires but have found none. I'm aperhensive of chopping up my harness if there are no outward signs of damage. I've even taken the cluster out of the dash to inspect connectors and lamps. Still no dice. The 101 splicer looks good and so do all lamps and connectors. No obvious damage. Any information or advice would be helpful.