•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold weather problems?

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Cold weather problems?

Well I got my second CEL in cold weather, problem being drastic loss of power when it's pretty cold outside (-10-20C). I decided to go to the dealership and here is what they found.

P1516 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance
      P2106 - Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited Power
      P2110 - Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited RPM

Doesn't say much. But they had a ECM update TSB#06-06-04-050. Don't know what that means....

Anywho, just to let you guys know there is an update out there, at least for the 06.

I was really happy with the service too. They ajusted the linkage for the transmission, now is really easy to shift. Didn't even have to tell them. I hope I won't see that CEL again.

I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Well, I posted that I had my ECM fry in cold weather (had the P2106, as well as P2105 which prevented the car from even starting).
      After they replaced the ECM, it's been fine. We've had -40 oC with wind chill and no problems at all.

Thanks
      Are using the block heater at all? we only been getting around -20 here. No problems starting though. Just the rough idling and loss of power.

BTW, wind chill doesn't affect the engine. If the thermometer reads -20, it doesn't matter how hard the wind is blowing, the engine is at -20. Just saying because a lot of people are referring to temperature with wind chill, when in fact it only affects living things.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Yeah, I know the wind chill thing. -22 to -25 is the lowest it's been... done both the plug in and the not plugging in thing. Other than the time it takes for the engine to warm up, I've had no problems with starting since the new ECM. No rough idle, no nothing.
      Since you have an 06 with the electronically controlled throttle, by the codes it might be that that has given out.
      Hope it gets fixed...

Thanks
      Oh it's fixed, I was just wondering if you were still having problems with yours. They were pretty busy yesterday at the garage and didn't tell me if they still got problems or not. Might be too early to tell we've only had really cold days here for about 2 weeks now.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      My throttle bodt froze, light went on, light went out, brought it into GM for service, they fried the ECM, installed a new ECM and all is fine now.

My windows would fog up bad, so I installed a winter front infront of the rad. and itt hasn't fogged up since.
      06' Aveo
      07' Liberty
      1973 VW Bug. Full resto. summer toy.

Thanks
      yeah mine would fog up when the car would be cold and have 4 persons inside driving for a while (about a half hour). But then the car would warm up and be fine.

Be sure to use the windsheild/feet setting for better results, in case you didn't know the feet settings actually has ducts going to the rear, under the driver and front passenger seats. I think that is a very clever idea, my feet were always cold when I was younger and riding in the back of a car.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I work for GM, and at our dealership we had 4 aveos come in this week. 1 for wheel bearings, and 3 for ECU issues because of the cold weather. GM released a known issue in our computers for the Aveo and cold weather ECU problems. It is required to flash the ECU with the updated program which wil fix the problem. The problems have to do with recognizing sensors liek the TB while its below frezing causing misfired and throttle issues. 2 of the 3 we flashed, fried the ECU, and this also is a known issue. Of course we replaced the backordered ECU's for free. Evidentally this is a big issue seeing as GM had the ECUS in backorder. I have an 07, and have not run into any issues yet.

WTF????

Cold weather causes problems, my car hasn't started a couple times, but if I understood correctly GM checks the ECU and that fries the computer.

You think they would do a recall on the ECUs.

Thanks
      It's because they have to update their software to be able to read the Aveo ECM, if they don't they will corrupt the programming and will need to get a new ECM from the factory. Most likely, the factory will reset them and sell them back to dealerships.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast