•  

Thread: Chevrolet aveo 2013 wont start (won't turn over). Has new battery

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Chevrolet aveo 2013 wont start (won't turn over). Has new battery

Hi Everyone,
      My name is Randy Lee and I am new to this forum but am quite happy I found it because I am having some starting issues with my car and would be grateful for any input. Last Saturday I started my car without any problems and drove it around quite a bit and it was fine. In the afternoon I got my car washed and after that it just wouldn't start, the guys at the car wash gave me a hand pushing the car and it started. I took my car to a local mechanic and he told me that my battery wasn't holding charge and I figured that it was time to change the stock battery after having got almost five years use out of it. After having replaced the battery the car worked fine and I had no issues with it. This morning again my car wouldn't start, all the electricals seem to be working, the power windows go up and down, the radio is working and even the headlights come on so I figure that the battery is fine but the engine just wont turn over. I push started my car again and drove it to work and it drives ok. My drive to work takes me about an hour, enough time to charge the battery. When I got to work and parked the car, I killed the engine and tried starting it again but it wouldn't crank. what could the problem be? the starter, starter relay or could it be the switch that is on the clutch that is faulty? My car is an Aveo 2013, manual transmission which has 60000 kms on the clock and I have never had a days problem with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Thanks
      Hi Randy -

I assume you have the next generation Aveo ... also called "Sonic" in some countries? If so, you might want to get help on the Sonic forums.

But I agree, it sounds like you've got a problem with:

the starter, starter relay or could it be the switch that is on the clutch that is faulty?
      I've had a clutch switch fail before. It's fairly easy to test: locate it on the pedal arm, and unplug it. Depending on the type of switch (normally open or normally closed), that may make it work. Otherwise, you can use a paper clip to make a jumper wire across the plug.

I'm glad at least you know how to push start your manual transmission car. Most people these days don't.