•  

Thread: Changed Headight Housings - Now no blinkers

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Changed Headight Housings - Now no blinkers

I was SO hoping to be done with the Aveo problems after her ECU took a dump last summer...

My daughter's 2008 Aveo has (since she has owned it) broken headlight housings - that look as if they had been sitting in the sun and plastic degraded over the last 70 years. They were literally falling apart - but they worked.... To pass inspection - they kind of at least need to point forward (instead of up to the top of trees).

I bought 2 new headlight housings from 1A-Auto online - and they came with bulbs installed also. Nice new clear lenses with no haze... and bulbs already pre-installed....

Only problem - once they are installed and hooked up - the headlights work - BUT there is no turn signals or hazard lights. All the way around the car. No rear or front turn signals, now...

I checked the (2) 10A fuses in the panel under the hood - and those are not blown.

Where else to I need to look? I'll put the old turn signal lamp sockets back on tomorrow to see if that works - and will see about chasing down any additional fuses or relays/flasher units... But I also see a few google searches where other's have had similar problems... however I have yet to find solutions posted.

Thanks.
      Rex S.

Last edited by RexSmith; 01-18-2018 at 10:38 PM.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Turns out - the replacement housing includes sockets for the blinkers that must be a "little" off from OE. The wiring harness - when connected to the new sockets - was (a) hard to get onto the socket, and (b) the new sockets must have some very flimsy connectors. In fact - they are split, and bend very easily. I think when I tried pushing on the wiring harness - it forced the terminals in the socket to bend - shorting out inside the socket itself. Confirmed later with a meter.

(2) Fuses blew: Turn Signal (10A) in the cab of the car - as well as the hazard flasher 15A fuse under the hood.

Replaced both fuses; Used the OLD turn signal sockets (however the new gaskets and 1187 bulbs), reinstalled - and all seems well, now.

https://youtu.be/Yd1TaxFAEk0

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RexSmith For This Useful Post:

sparky34kv (01-24-2018)