•  

Thread: Center dash lights

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Center dash lights

I recently purchased an '05 Aveo with 72K miles and have an annoying "problem". The center dash display (DRL indicator, Clock, etc.) just goes out after about 5 minutes of starting the car. The display works when you first start the car, but just turns "off" after a bit. I checked all related fuses (didn't replace any, just checked them). Any one heard of this or had it happen to them? I searched the forum but didn't find any issues relating to this. Is it possibly the DRL module? "Weak" fuse? If so, which one? Ideas?

BTW, Super Kudos to all on this board for keeping the "general public" informed about replacing the timing belt after 60K miles. Shortly after buying the car and finding this forum, I realized I had better get the timing belt (and related parts) replaced BEFORE it snapped and wound up costing big $$$.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Re: Center dash lights

hello~ no that hasnt happened to me yet. maybe look up that center part 2 replace maybe. local junk yards
      Silver Bullet~
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3360111/1

Silverado Ext cab 02
      Accord Ex 94
      Aveo Ls 06

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

that is weird, have you taken the center dash piece out yet? might be a loose connection or something, but i do not think anyone else has had this problem themselves though

Thanks

I haven't had a chance to "dig" around under the dash yet for any loose connections. I am hopeful that's all it is. Maybe a loose connection starts to pull a high resistance after awhile and "shorts" out a relay which cuts power to the center dash...or the DRL module is "shorting" after a short time that power is applied and killing power the dash. I guess I should check to see if the Daytime Running Lights are still on AFTER the center dash looses power. Anyway, just thinking "out loud". It is weird that it works for a short time then goes out...

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

That is kinda strange. I wonder if theyre all on that same circuit?
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Thanks

The Daytime Running lights remain ON after the center dash display goes out. I guess it could still be the DRL Module. I haven't been able to get my hands on the car to troubleshoot this. It's my daughters car and she's very much "on the go". Just trying to add some info to the thread... fishing for ideas, really

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

There was an issue with the center dash clock on the '04 models (at least) which caused the clock to reset randomly. It could be a similar issue.

The clock/indicator lights are a single unit, It's usually around $75-$100 from the dealer, but you could probably pull one from a junk yard cheaper. I've seen them on ebay for around $20.

I believe the '04 and '05 units are the same, but I know for certain that the '07 is different, having a light to show the passenger airbag is off, and the DRL light relocated to the main instrument panel (tachometer). I would assume the '06 is the same as the '07, since I think that's the year they switched to throttle by-wire. I don't know if the two different part numbers would be interchangeable.

I've removed mine before, but I don't recall exactly how to do it... I think you need to remove the black vertical trim panels, then the clock housing (the shroud covering it). If I remember correctly it's just a couple screws or bolts.

Exo