•  

Thread: The Case of the Disappearing Coolant; SOLVED!

LXV-SCOOTADRIVE, ON! 2010AveoLT's Avatar
      Thanks

The Case of the Disappearing Coolant; SOLVED!

as most of the Populace in the Northern Hemisphere already know; Winter is coming soon, and everyone needs to check up on their Coolant! I did that today, and I discovered why the Coolant in Scoots' Expansion Bottle was Disappearing! just for Kicks and Grins, I borrowed my School's Cooling System Pressure Tester not to Test the Cap (because its Virtually Brand New), but the Actual System itself; and what I discovered was VERY disheartening: I pressurized the system to its usual 17 PSI (that would be 1.1 bar/117.2 KPa for you International Types) and looked underneath to see the telltale Drip of precious Coolant falling onto the pavement. I looked a little closer, to find it was coming from between the Water Pump and its Volute! (I don't think the water pump itself is faulty, because I noticed moisture seeping from the top seam as well) and from what I've read, its an RTV Silicone seal that forms the water pump gasket. so my advice is to check your Water Pump Gaskets!

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      The water pumps I've worked on use a rubber o-ring, and the parts outfits show the '10 pump being sold with one as well. These gaskets hold up well, and you might want to check if the bolts are torqued correctly. IDK what the torque is for a 2010, but typically it's 100-150 inch lbs.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      The water pumps I've worked on use a rubber o-ring, and the parts outfits show the '10 pump being sold with one as well. These gaskets hold up well, and you might want to check if the bolts are torqued correctly. IDK what the torque is for a 2010, but typically it's 100-150 inch lbs.
      Those water pump bolts are something I need to rant about; because they used EXTERNAL TORX bolts to secure the water pump to the engine, and INTERNAL TORX bolts for the water pump pulley! Why couldn't they use more mechanic friendly hex bolts LIKE EVERYONE ELSE USES!

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      did you move the water pump, like for a timing job or anything?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      did you move the water pump, like for a timing job or anything?
      Nope, the water pump is completely undisturbed and in the same condition as it left the factory as far as I know; and my car has the Gen III Ecotec engine, which has the externally driven water pump. (And my timing belt isn't due for another 27,000 miles)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I talked with my Dealer today to see how much it would cost if I went to them, and then Promptly hit the roof (after Hanging up the phone of Course) when they told me it would be pretty much a repeat of the Financial Raping I got when I replaced my Downstream Oxygen Sensor 4 months ago.
      Last edited by 2010AveoLT; 10-29-2014 at 02:53 AM.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      ahhh yes, the dealers are pros at that - like the $2 spark plug I got when they charged me $500 to release my car, saying I put E85 in and had to disassemble n clean out my fuel system for corrrosives, then 6 months later issued the coil recall

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 2010AveoLT View Post
      Nope, the water pump is completely undisturbed and in the same condition as it left the factory as far as I know; and my car has the Gen III Ecotec engine, which has the externally driven water pump. (And my timing belt isn't due for another 27,000 miles)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I talked with my Dealer today to see how much it would cost if I went to them, and then Promptly hit the roof (after Hanging up the phone of Course) when they told me it would be pretty much a repeat of the Financial Raping I got when I replaced my Downstream Oxygen Sensor 4 months ago.
      Funny thing - but we haven't heard placating words from the girls at GM headquarters lately on this list.

Maybe they avoid stories of Aveo owners being raped by their dealers...

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Those water pump bolts are something I need to rant about; because they used EXTERNAL TORX bolts to secure the water pump to the engine, and INTERNAL TORX bolts for the water pump pulley! Why couldn't they use more mechanic friendly hex bolts LIKE EVERYONE ELSE USES!
      You already know the answer: They are not interested in being "mechanic friendly". GM is interested in you giving up on your Aveo in the hope that they can sell you a newer GM product.

Thanks
      Ah yes, GM: All about ripping customers off in epic proportions (directly), then again asking all of those same customers (and entire nation) to 'Bail out GM' to the tune of trillions, all while still alleging the same 'intellectual property' BS every time someone figures out their PCM code. and they (GM) say this is all about 'protecting consumers', right!!! Gee, and people can see right through this PR con job?? Someone at GM might want to sober up and consider the consequences, maybe in time to prevent the next leg down eh?? - Pipe dream.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      ... I talked with my Dealer today to see how much it would cost if I went to them, and then Promptly hit the roof (after Hanging up the phone of Course) when they told me it would be pretty much a repeat of the Financial Raping I got when I replaced my Downstream Oxygen Sensor 4 months ago.
      I don't understand why you continue to dance with this (or any) stealership. Dealers are in the business of selling cars. They view the service dept as a necessary evil, and make every attempt to have it turn a profit instead of being just overhead baggage. And this is true for every maker, not just GM. I've never taken one of my vehicles to a dealership for any non-warranty work (and that's 45 years btw). When my kids were small and I had no time to do my own work, I found a good local shop which did reliable work at market rates. And most importantly, they didn't do work that wasn't necessary. For what you can't, or don't want to DIY, find a good indy shop or two and stick with them.