•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Camshaft Position Sensor

Almost time to do my timing belt daug1502's Avatar
      Thanks
      Light came on again yesterday, I'm changing the sensor, looks like it's occasional and happens when I get on the gas. Could this be caused by my cold air intake?

http://www.aveoforum.com/phpBB3/view...p?f=41&t=28184
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I will think of a better signature later.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      the cai should not affect a camshaft position sensor.

i would think it needs replaced. If it is not reading during either higher rpm or heavy acceleration, then it is the problem.

Thanks
      Nailed it on the head. Getting one Wednesday.
      2008 Aveo5 SV

Thanks
      Got the part, and got it installed. I'm thinking it was defective for a while, but only occasionally enough to throw the code. I put in the new one today, and it made a notable difference in the running of my vehicle. I even seem to have regained some power.

And because everyone likes pics and how-to's here goes.

Almost everything can be done with a 1/4 inch drive ratchet and 10mm socket. You will need a 12mm wrench to remove the bracket that hold the power steering line in place, or the timing cover will not come off. An allen wrench to remove the valve cover shroud that hides the plug wires. Most importantly is the 1/4'' swivel and an extension.

First remove the Bracket from the alternator, so that you can move the line out of the way easier, Move the lines that clip to the timing cover out of the way also. The timing cover (sorry no pic) is held on by 3 10MM bolts. The first two are easy to find, they are above the serpentine belt. The third one is on the left of the motor hiding just below the belt, feel with your fingers and you will find it.

Be careful when you pull the timing cover out, as it's a tight fit. Try to be mindful on how it comes out to aid you on putting it back in later. Angles, and edges.

Go ahead and remove the valve cover shroud piece now.

OK, this is the sensor, you can ignore the fly. The side you see is the side that would face the engine on the vehicle.

This is the clip you will need to remove from the sensor. Push on the little metal bar into the clip and it will pop off very easily.

This is where the plug and sensor are located.

Here it is in the vehicle, There are two screws to the bottom, between the cam gears. You will need a 1/4'' drive ratchet, with a 10MM socket, and extension, and most importantly a swivel adapter.

Make sure you tighten everything back up the way it was when you started, and remember to plug the sensor back in, I pushed on the metal clip again to make sure it went on easily.

This would be a good time to start the vehicle and make sure the new sensor is working properly.

Putting the timing cover back on is the most difficult part, Getting it to slide back into place was quite awkward. I recommend putting the front on first then lining up the back. Once it's in place the bolts should line up quite easily. I just used the socket and extension like a screwdriver to start them and finshed up with the ratchet to tighten them. Once the timing cover and the valve cover shroud are in place and tightened down You are done.
      2008 Aveo5 SV

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Thank you Daug1502 the pics and description helped alot!

Thanks
      Glad I could help. It's why I write those. I should do a drum brakes write up when I have the rest of the parts.
      2008 Aveo5 SV

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by daug1502 View Post
      Glad I could help. It's why I write those. I should do a drum brakes write up when I have the rest of the parts.
      thanks as well for the write up! Ive been having issues and got a p0340 diag code and found this, your guide made me sign up just to reply and give my gratitude!

All tho, with this car im sure ill be on here often researching issues...

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Thanks for the great write up Daug1502! I was having trouble getting the power steering line out of the way until I saw your tips! Also, I would like to mention that to get the right hand bolt out of the sensor I had shave down my 10MM socket to fit because it was too close to the cam gear. A crow's foot attachment would probably have worked, but I opted for the cheaper method.

While I was at it, I also changed the crankshaft position sensor - much easier to get to - it's located at the front of the engine on the right just under the oil filter. I was having trouble with the car with the engine suddenly quitting after about 20 min of driving. I was able to start it up again after waiting a couple of minutes, but too dangerous to let it keep doing that. Strangely enough the computer did not provide any codes. The new crankshaft position sensor fixed the problem. The theory behind it, was that when it heats up it will have too much resistance and not provide the crankshaft RPM to the ECM. The ECM, not getting any info from the sensor thinks the engine has stopped so it forces the engine to shutdown. The engine will not restart until the sensor has cooled down a bit and it providing information again to the ECM. It took me a long time to troubleshoot this one because there were so many possibilities.
      Anyway I hope this info helps someone else in the future.

Best regards...

Thanks
      This was a ridiculous repair. Thanks for the guide.

Thanks
      Lol, again glad I could help. It wasn't fun doing it without a write up.

2008 Aveo5 SV

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast