•  

Thread: Blown gasket! Due to different coolant?

Thanks

Exclamation Blown gasket! Due to different coolant?

Had my '07 Aveo 1.4 LT Sedan checked at the Chevy Service earlier, having noticed oil leaks around the engine head yesterday -- seems to be getting worse... The Chevy employee insisted that the head gasket must have blown, needing immediate replacement; had the car inspected elsewhere for a different opinion but they suggested the same... Seems at this point that I'll have to do with paying up as I've researched what sort of nightmares might ensue from head gasket failure...

The point now, however, is could this be due to the usage of a different coolant? What happened was, nearly a year ago, resulting from coolant leakage, the reservoir had to be replaced... The previous coolant (orange, if I'm not mistaken) was flushed and replaced by what was recommended at Chevy Service (Caltex Extended Life Coolant, which is reddish). The manual suggests silicate-based; the Caltex coolant reads something like "meets the silicate-free standards..." I'm really concerned that this may somehow adversely affected the engine...

Ever since I spotted the oil leak, the coolant level has noticeably dropped... I'm a noob so not sure if that info would help in any way.

Additionally, distilled water or any water to top off the cooling system?

Appreciate any help
      Peaceage

Last edited by AMMsterz; 03-02-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      The wrong coolant would affect things like water pump life and calcium deposits in the engine. To the best of my knowledge, it wouldn't affect gaskets.

Always use 50/50 coolant and distilled water.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      i have to say, if its oil that blew out of the head gasket, its probably not related to that.

unless your sure its the head gasket and not valve cover gasket? how much oil consumption do you experience? are you mixing oil and coolant? any loss of compression?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      my valve cover gasket is leaking, a little oil but nothing major(because there was double the normal amount of oil in it for about 3 miles, dont ask please) i was sure i blew something out, a head gasket would cause a lot of smoking as well?

Thanks
      Message noted about coolant... Cheerz all! I'll probably head off to the Chevy Service early today to have it replaced...

Yeah it was most likely the valve cover gasket -- just that I couldn't recall the term I guess... The oil leaking was around the engine head. Mileage and power I feel have lessened. Regarding mixing of coolant and oil, I don't believe the mechanic has noticed any yet... I sure hope not.

I just hope after the replacement, no other problems would arise at least in the short term...

Thanks
      Okay just had got the ride from my friend's shop... All that was done was simply tightening some screws in the engine till they clicked in place... Engine and car was washed as the car remained for observation... Drove the car to the market and back and it seemed as though the acceleration was smoother -- hopefully, the engine's regained power and efficiency coz had to go to the gas station pretty much daily for the past couple days. It's night time here already so I'll have to inspect for any oil leak tomorrow. If any leak appears, I'll have to resort to the replacement option

Peaceage