•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aveo Timing Belt

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Aveo Timing Belt

According to GM, Aveos should have their timing belts replaced at 60,000 miles - mine broke at 55,000. Apparently this is a huge issue with 2004-2007 models (see http://aveosfail.com/). Anyone else have this expensive problem? (I'm up to $2,000 in damages - all 16 valves were broken, the timing belt of course had to be replaced, plus a few other parts; I was quoted $3,500 by the dealership, and they hadn't even noticed all 16 valves were broken!)

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Re: Aveo Timing Belt

i pretty much tell everyone i know that has aveo to change it at 50,000

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

My 2006 Aveo is at 53k miles. I only realized the timing belt was a problem after reading the online posts. Thank you, GM, for keeping your customers informed! I'm planning on doing that and the water pump by the end of the month. Finally got a compressor and have to get the wiring in place, so hopefully it will last for the next 800 miles or so...

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Taking 2 minutes to verify it's current condition could solve larger
      problems down the road. I remember a member saying he
      waited until almost 80 k with no problems. Just routine checking. He even posted pictures of the belt and it was still ok as far as teeth and cracks.

The thing about the aveo is for it's price point some defects get through although it seems almost every car has had something wrong, it's not the same failure and the aveo actually has fewer common problems than most other models. But keeping costs low mean you have a few parts get through assembly that will need fixed(hopefully under warranty).

The timing belt is not really related to that comment but a belt just doesn't go bad and break over an hour or two. It breaks down over time and use so checking it's life you can verify when you are comfortable changing it before it fails.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

I have a question.. How do you get to the timing belt to check it? does that plastic cover just come off with a couple screws?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

the upper cover comes off, i would have to look how.. and it would be different e'tech vs ecotec.

but with the top cover off, inspect the amount of belt you can see, look at the condition of the rubber, the teeth, etc.. make the belt, crank the engine over once, and reinspect, mark it and repeat. keep going until you have seen the entire belt.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

oh ok would the top cover be the cover that says e-tec and 16v? or is it a seperate one?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

its separate:

the 6UA sticker is on the cover, looks like its 2 screws to take it off..it just comes off the end..

edit, thanks wolfman for the picture of my car..

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

I don't understand why they have to keep making engines with interference designs. I have had several cars with the timing belts break, but they were designed so that the valves do not crash into the pistons so I just replaced the belt and off I went, good as new. Uh, hello engineers? Wouldn't it be less of a headache to prevent these issues?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Just replaced my belt, idler, and tensior (kit from Cloyes) and the water pump. Done at 59,000 miles. Took awhile, but went without a hitch. My cooling system flush is a different story (see post from today).

All my old parts were in good shape and the belt looked fine. I would change at 60,000 miles regardless of what it looks like. Way cheaper than new pistons, valves, head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast