•  

Thread: approaching 150K kms, preventative maintenance recommendations/thoughts/comments

What do you mean there's no turbo? northguest47's Avatar
      Thanks

approaching 150K kms, preventative maintenance recommendations/thoughts/comments

planning to do the following:
      -brakes, front and rear
      -suspension front and rear
      -timing belt, water pump, o-ring
      -steering components inspection
      -rims and rubber and alignment
      -plugs and wires
      -new CAI and exhaust
      -new tints

as this is going to be done in several sessions, some of it by myself and an experienced friend, some at a shop, i was just wondering if there are any other things i should do at the same time i know its a bit early for the timing belt but i though may as well

first on the list is the brakes as the drivers side just began to stick, haven't decided what order to do everything else ye

I'll keep it and add a turbo USAFzac's Avatar
      Thanks
      All of this you can do in a driveway with a jack and some ramps. Forget paying a shop

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      spark plug wires aren't really necessary to change unless worn out. Also does anyone know how to change the fuel filter or have any info on that?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      Since you are doing it, that list looks pretty good to me, i would add the thermostat, unless i missed it. I would also do the tensioners with the timing belt.

Thanks
      ok so aside from p0455 and p0498 which aren't a big deal all the preventative maintenance is done, new endlinks, third timing belt and tensioner, all brakes all around, main tensioner replaced too.. so its time for the upgrades, looking more like fall now, but sparky is apparently getting ready to be lowered, and that dang stock exhaust and all, and the anti sway, and a bit more but its slow to happen, nonetheless the motor is running like a champ as far as i have runit for the past seven and a half, i wonder what is going to fail first on this motor, or will it be the frame perhaps

the thermostat was done years ago with the second water pump, i believe the pressure test made that apparent but i should look that up
      Last edited by northguest47; 09-02-2014 at 05:26 AM.

Thanks
      im looking into a shop to do a 'smoke test' on the evap network to see if theres some weird leak causing the codes.. this is to see if i can finally diagnose and rid them for good

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      those two codes could be caused by the gas cap. I would buy one before paying a shop.

Both those codes basically say there is no pressure or seal to the gas tank system.

Thanks
      Update:
      -gas cap and evap canister both replaced a long time ago... still the codes remain.. hence the mechanics recommendation to do the smoke test
      -curt trailer hitch and wiring kit installed
      -still to order rear anti sway bar, front upper strut mount bar, beefy clutch kit, the better stock front strut mounts, front coil-overs, rear lowering springs, rear airbags

oddly enough after the hitch install i can 'tell' the car handles different, actually better imho, although i know the weight of that trailer hitch is not wanted it can be offset by replacing the stock seats with lighter ones.. also on the list at some point

slow to get this all done, always takes three times longer than i think, but i gotta say with those winter tires, this car handles really well in the rain.. there's no snow to speak of where i am
      Last edited by northguest47; 01-17-2015 at 08:28 PM.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      Since you are doing it, that list looks pretty good to me, i would add the thermostat, unless i missed it. I would also do the tensioners with the timing belt.
      You can buy a kit that has all the replacement parts from Rock Auto. This is a lot cheaper than what I got at my local store: More Information for DAYCO 95335K1S

It is suggested that all the moving parts are replaced as the BELT is only one part of the three that fails.
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      Rabbit, I was reading my thread and its not both codes that returned, I said that in error, only the p0455 is there and has been for years - if i clear it it just reappears after ten seconds.. do you agree that a smoke test would be the next step?
      I dont have your adapter brackets installed yet but thats next up to be done with the coilovers and one ball joint that needs replacing. I am finally ready to afford ordering everything .. I think Im gonna end this thread and start a new one seeing that after this its not maintenance anymore.. and start taking pictures too