•  

Thread: anyone know about aveo O2 sensors?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

anyone know about aveo O2 sensors?

So a while back I got a CEL, pulled the code with my Scan Gauge, turns out to be O2 sensor. I put it off long enough, I was still getting pretty much the same gas mileage so I figured, whatever. Lately the mileage has plummeted. I routinely get 12 to 15L/100KM, I easily did 100KM less on my tank of gas. Screw that. I didn't want to go to the dealer, so I went to another garage that was supposed to be reasonable. Says that it will be around $175 and that it's mostly the parts that cost so much. Two seconds on Google showed me an O2 sensor for 04 Aveo is around $30. So wtf, I know often times you can find cheaper (cheaper quality too) online, but really?? I should have checked first, but at this point they have already ordered the part and I'm supposed to go back tomorrow to get it installed. I was told there are more than one O2 sensor (I already suspected as much though). How do I know the difference between various O2 sensors and how much they should cost?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      What you're seeing online is probably a GENERIC O2 sensor, that will have the right threads for your car (if I understand correctly, most if not all of 02 sensors have the same threads, but I will wait for someone more educated on that part to chime in), and what your shop ordered you is the ACTUAL OEM or OEM REPLACEMENT sensor for your car. The main difference is that the one they ordered will be pretty much plug and play. Screw in the sensor, plug in the plug - you're done. If you order the one online, you would have to grab your multimeter, wire cutters, your solder gun (or some quick connects, but engine bay does get pretty hot, so solder would probably work better), and a bit of your time. Plus it won't look as clean as OEM unless you actually take apart your old plug off your sensor or buy another one just like that and put the wires directly into the plug for a clean look. But after all that work and time, I think it's worth it to just pay a little more for an OEM one.

You can do a quick search for "OEM vs aftermarket O2 sensor" on Google and you'll run into plenty of forums and an article or two on the subject. Seems like with aftermarket you could run into voltage reading problems, with OEM or OEM replacement you should encounter no problems at all.

that's my $0.02 USD
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

Thanks
      Dunno where you found a $30 O2 sensor, but I probably wouldn't buy it. "Universal" ones you can get at the parts store for ~$60 but you have to solder/crimp the wires to your old connector that you cut off the old sensor. New ones go for a little over $100.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Ahh, thank you for the enlightening replies. Here's the link to the $30 one, Chevy Aveo Oxygen Sensor | Free Shipping | 2004 - 2011, 2006, Replacement, Bosch I think you're right about it not being an exact OEM replacement, so that does explain the difference in price.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      scroll down to the 3rd one, its a plug and play replacement for $65, add the o2 socket for $5 if you have to, and diy.

its right up front, one of the easiest repairs there is.

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? serega12's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      scroll down to the 3rd one, its a plug and play replacement for $65, add the o2 socket for $5 if you have to, and diy.

its right up front, one of the easiest repairs there is.
      ^^^ what he said. And it is pretty easy to get to, just make sure your card is cold because the exhaust header cover IS HOT.
      2006 Chevrolet Aveo a.k.a. Holden Barina – SOLD
      ​2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/TC - SOLD

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I just completed this repair on my 09 Chevy Aveo and ran into the same issue in wiring the Bosch sensor. I ordered the ac delco exact fit and got it home and was able to cross reference the ac delco replacement wiring and the original defective o2 sensor. The ac delco o2 sensor had the exact same wire coloring as the Bosch. I found that the purple and white wires correspond to the heater wires described in the instructions (2 white wires on the Bosch o2 sensor) black and gray match exactly from the original wire harness/ plug to the Bosch 02 sensor. I hope this helps and helps anyone else. Reset ECU by disconnecting neg battery terminal for approx 10 min. and reconnect. I have not had the check engine light come back on as of yet.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      By the way OP, you say you were getting 12-15L/100km BEFORE you had the issue! That gas mileage is horrendous, that is only 15.6 miles/gallon. You should easily be getting twice that.

I realise this is an old thread, but OP didn't stipulate which O2 sensor he had the issue with. I'm assuming the pre CAT sensor, the post Cat one wont affect your gas mileage. My wifes downstream sensor has been gone for a year and there has been no change in how the car operates, it simply relays information on the performance of you catalytic converter.