•  

Thread: Airbag Light On

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Airbag Light On

I recently purchased at Foxwell NT630 scanner in an attempt to locate the source of an airbag light staying on in my 2007 Aveo. I have been unsuccessful in downloading the DTCs but have been able to download the data table for the SDM. Most of the readings appear to be within the normal range (e.g. "Drvr. Air Bag Stage 1 Resist." is 2 ohms which is within specification.)

I am a little confused about two of the readings which don't make any sense to me. These are the Driver and Passenger "Head Curtain Resistance" both are reading 15 OHMS. I don't think this Aveo has a "Head Curtain" airbag. Is it just a case of the using a SDM common to other GM cars? If so, I suppose the airbag light ignores these parameters?

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      I found this link to a bunch of information regarding airbags, it might help:
      Service Manual2007 Captiva Diagnostic TIC Trouble Code (DTC) B0012
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      Thanks much. I appreciate it.

Jim Houston

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by jhoutso4 View Post
      I recently purchased at Foxwell NT630 scanner in an attempt to locate the source of an airbag light staying on in my 2007 Aveo. I have been unsuccessful in downloading the DTCs but have been able to download the data table for the SDM. Most of the readings appear to be within the normal range (e.g. "Drvr. Air Bag Stage 1 Resist." is 2 ohms which is within specification.)

I am a little confused about two of the readings which don't make any sense to me. These are the Driver and Passenger "Head Curtain Resistance" both are reading 15 OHMS. I don't think this Aveo has a "Head Curtain" airbag. Is it just a case of the using a SDM common to other GM cars? If so, I suppose the airbag light ignores these parameters?
      ------------------------
      I think I may be a little closer to determining the source of the airbag light problem mentioned above. I was finally able to access the SIR (Supplemental Inflatable Restraint) data using the Foxwell scanner. Specifically, the data item "Battery Voltage" indicated 11.2 Volts. This reading was taken without the engine running. Also the reading dropped a few extra tenths of a volt when I turned the lights on. I put a voltmeter across the battery and measured 12.5 volts, indicating to me that the problem was not with the battery. I checked the ground and positive terminals on battery and they seemed normal. There are 2 connections on the positive terminal. One goes directly to the starter and the other goes to a 100 amp terminal block fuse. I disconnected the negative terminal, partially exposed the pins on the fuse and measured about zero ohms across the fuse. Haven't had time to check it out yet but suspect their may be a problem with the downstream connection to the 100 amp fuse. I'll check that out today and let you know what I find.

Additionally, I have found a was to reset the airbag light using the Foxwell scanner. In each case after the light is reset, the airbag light will flash 6 times before extinguishing itself upon tuning the ignition on. This flashing will occur for several cycles of tuning the ignition on and off before the air bag remains solidly on. Not exactly sure how the logic works on the airbag self test but it appears that the SDM may query memory to see if one or more anomalies occurred in the previous cycles before flashing the airbag light 6 times (the 6 flashes indicates, I think, normal operation)