•  

Thread: airbag issue

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

airbag issue

ok I know this topic has been covered but it does not cover what I am seeing in my 2008 aveo ls sedan. my passenger side airbag light has been acting very strange it will go dim then come back to normal then go completely out when someone sits in the seat the on off indication goes completely out for a few seconds then indicates its on. have checked all connections under seat. Oh yes the airbag indicator on instrument cluster is also lit. Im thinking the problem is the occupancy sensor. what Im wondering is there a inexpensive way of bypassing this sensor to keep the airbag on. Dont have small kids and don'tplan to for the life of this car.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Good question. My airbag light is on all the time regardless who is sitting there. I have read that it may have to be connected to a Tech 2 GM diagnostic machine to find out the problem. I don't know for sure though since again this is just posts I read online about it. Please if anyone could correct me if I am wrong but scanners that Autozone uses to pull codes for free out of your car may not pick up on that.

Thanks
      From what I learned the BCM talks on the CAN bus, (pin 13 on the aldl) so any tool would need to set the header to address requests to the BCM (rather than the ECM) which I was never able to figure out what address the BCM was on our Aveos. One of these days someone will stumble upon the correct CAN header addresses for all the modules so we can at least send commands manually for an easy fix.

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I have an 08 sedan with the airbag light indicating a fault, you will need to take it to a dealer or find someone who has a scanner that can read the body control module. There's nothing you can do to the occupancy sensors or wiring that will make it go away it's been logged and is there to stay until cleared. Also to note that the manual states that when there's a fault detected that the airbags are disabled.

Also to note I don't think you'll find many shops that will touch the BCM out of a liability concern so I hope you find someone who can to it under the table...
      Last edited by RBRx; 07-08-2016 at 12:47 AM.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      OK took my 2008 aveo in to have airbag light checked come to find out that the wire connection at steering column was loose . there was other codes but the tech zeroed them out without a return. Hope that helps a few owners. note this also causes the passenger airbag indicator to work sporadically.