•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Accessory Outlets

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      I have a 2005 Aveo LS. My cigarette lighter/accessory fuse is the top, left one on the driver's side of the dash. A visual inspection of a fuse is reliable for checking if a fuse is bad because you can see if it is blown. But what if the fuse is not blown? Can you say with certainty that it is good? Best to use a test lamp or a meter to see if current is running through the fuse.

If the lamp/meter shows that current is running through the fuse, you can then use the lamp/meter to see if current is reaching the cigarette/accessory outlets.

Wants moh powah
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by randyw View Post
      I couldn't find anything on the fuse layout diagram that appeared to be directly related to the accessory outlet so I pulled all of the fuses and visually inspected them. Is it possible for the fuse to be bad without showing signs of being "blown"?
      That's the wrong fuse box. Open the driver's door and look at the side of the dash....assuming it's in the same spot as my 2010.

....and fish the dime out of the accessory outlet before you replace the fuse. (that's what happened the last time I blew an accessory fuse)
      Last edited by wylee; 03-22-2012 at 03:44 PM.
      Sorry GM, the Turbo Sonic was priced too close to the Focus ST. I gots me a Ford.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by wuwei37405 View Post
      A visual inspection of a fuse is reliable for checking if a fuse is bad because you can see if it is blown. But what if the fuse is not blown? Can you say with certainty that it is good? Best to use a test lamp or a meter to see if current is running through the fuse.

If the lamp/meter shows that current is running through the fuse, you can then use the lamp/meter to see if current is reaching the cigarette/accessory outlets.
      The best way to check a fuse is to remove it and use a digital multi meter that has a continuity check feature. Check the fuse for continuity, thats all it does.

A "lamp" will not measure current and in order to measure current with a meter you need something to draw that current and the GPS doesn't light up to draw the current.

Use a lamp or meter to check for +12V on one side of fuse, check fuse continuity, then replace and check for +12V on opposite side of fuse.

Thanks
      Maybe I was not specific enough with my last post. I should have said, "Check for current flow with your ignition key in the "on" position."

I'll keep it and add a turbo Pontiac1976's Avatar
      Thanks
      All the 2004 -2011 Aveo,Swift,Wave have two fuse boxes there all in the same place. As said, Lt side dash beside driver door. Under hood in back of the BATT.

Has this problem been solved yet? or have you found the trouble yet?
      PONTIAC1976

PONTIAC
      The Mark of a Great Car
      PONTIAC
      The Mark of a Great Car

This new set up is Messed up! at CarDomain. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3101276

Thanks
      Maybe I was not specific enough with my last post. I should have said, "Check for current flow with your ignition key in the "on" position."
      I'm not trying to bust your balls but what you are saying doesn't make sense. "Current flow" is measured in amps. you are not looking for amps. You are testing for a "difference of potential" measured in volts. Even with the key on to get current flow you would need a complete circuit and a load. Obviously he has no load, therefore no complete circuit. You need to troubleshoot the voltage throughout the circuit to find the break.

So don't take this the wrong way. there is a lot of mis-information on the net.
      Voltage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Electric current - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks
      Yes, I erred. The test that I was proposing was to see if there was a complete circuit. If there was not a complete circuit, one would still have to determine why. It could be the fuse, a broken wire, a damaged connector, etc.

Thanks
      Did we ever hear back from the originator of this thread? Was the problem solved?

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by wylee View Post
      That's the wrong fuse box.
      Doh! So there are 2 fuse boxes?!?! I thought that looked like an unusually low number of fuses. I haven't had time to mess with this since I inspected the other fuses. Gonna give it another go when I get home tonight.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I have a 2005 Aveo LS. My cigarette lighter/accessory fuse is the top, left one on the driver's side of the dash.
      Yep, that was it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast