•  
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Accessory Outlets

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by thehunterooo View Post
      99% sure it is a fuse, also the outlets get no power unless the car is on or running
      Said it weeks ago....

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Nice to see that some problems have a simple solution like replacing a fuse. It's encouraging.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I'd like to resurrect this read with a quandry: My Aveo has two cigarette lighters, neither of which light cigarettes, neither of which power accessories with 12V adaptors.

The adaptor is good, all the cables are good. The fuse is good, so good it blew two fuses on my voltmeter before ai blew it up and had to replace it.

I read 12V with my analog multimeter directly from each port, from the adaptor in each port, but neither of my two-prong plugs will power devices from the adaptor.

Is 12V all that the outlets need to supply?

Is there any easy way, like with a penny to fix the situation?

This is a serious issue that wastes my time, endangers job opportunities, and has me stopping in random places just to steal power. Highly wasteful and annoying, especially since the Aveo has a very strong, durable battery.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by BahMyAveo! View Post
      I'd like to resurrect this read with a quandry: My Aveo has two cigarette lighters, neither of which light cigarettes, neither of which power accessories with 12V adaptors.

The adaptor is good, all the cables are good. The fuse is good, so good it blew two fuses on my voltmeter before ai blew it up and had to replace it.

I read 12V with my analog multimeter directly from each port, from the adaptor in each port, but neither of my two-prong plugs will power devices from the adaptor.

Is 12V all that the outlets need to supply?

Is there any easy way, like with a penny to fix the situation?
      This is a serious issue that wastes my time, endangers job opportunities, and has me stopping in random places just to steal power. Highly wasteful and annoying, especially since the Aveo has a very strong, durable battery.

No, do not try inserting a penny into it.

If you are absolutely sure that you are receiving 12VDC at the socket, then the problem is not with the lighter socket. I've seen too many accessory plugs that are poorly made and deficient. Many of them don't fit a lighter socket properly and therefore the accessory doesn't receive power. Try an actual cigarette lighter in the socket. Those usually work with no problems.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Too, late, tried the penny, blew another fuse!

Was trying to wedge it in on the side, still shorted it.

Anyway, no the cigarette lighter doesn't work either. I tried to light a cigarette for almost thirty minutes, holding the lighter in, and couldn't heat the element enough. I think the walls must be bent outward.

Will replacing both ports be the only way to rectify the situation? It still boggles me that both ports deliver 12V to the two prong adaptor. i wish I had a dummy lightbulb or something to test if they're bad connectors, but I find to believe that three different plugs, all of which work with AC fine, are all defective.

It's driving me nuts that the two prong adaptor is getting 12V from BOTH OUTLETS. The guy at the hardware store where i was buying new fuses for my multimeter couldn't explain it either. . .

Maddening.

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by BahMyAveo! View Post
      Too, late, tried the penny, blew another fuse!

Was trying to wedge it in on the side, still shorted it.

Anyway, no the cigarette lighter doesn't work either. I tried to light a cigarette for almost thirty minutes, holding the lighter in, and couldn't heat the element enough. I think the walls must be bent outward.

Will replacing both ports be the only way to rectify the situation? It still boggles me that both ports deliver 12V to the two prong adaptor. i wish I had a dummy lightbulb or something to test if they're bad connectors, but I find to believe that three different plugs, all of which work with AC fine, are all defective.

It's driving me nuts that the two prong adaptor is getting 12V from BOTH OUTLETS. The guy at the hardware store where i was buying new fuses for my multimeter couldn't explain it either. . .

Maddening.
      Are you capable of receiving constructive criticism without becoming offended?

What do you mean by saying " the two prong adaptor"??? If the male adapter PLUG is receiving current from the female SOCKET when it is inserted, there is nothing wrong with either. This is one of basic sex: if the socket has current to it and the plug isn't receiving it, that's a mechanical problem, not an electrical one.

As you told us, first you blew out your multimeter, then you inserted a penny into the socket (despite being told not to do that), which apparently shorted the positive feed to ground. That will blow a fuse.

Until you can grasp a very basic, universal understanding of any 12 VDC automotive electrical system and how an accessory plug makes contact when inserted into in a socket, I don't think we can help you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123