•  

Thread: 2011 Chevy Aveo A/C - Strange Issue

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

2011 Chevy Aveo A/C - Strange Issue

Hello Aveo Experts...!

I have a 2011 Chevy Aveo that is currently having A/C problems. I've had the system checked for coolant leaks and low coolant but no issues. Compressor kicks on when pushing the green A/C button. Air continues to blow cool/regular air only. Here is the strange thing: While I was having my A/C system checked for leaks and low coolant the tech had the Aveo plugged into the computer. System error came up for bad battery (low voltage). I had the battery checked and sure enough, it was a bad battery. Tech told me that there is a chance the A/C was not pulling enough amperage from the battery and not kicking on correctly. I thought it sounded strange (doesn't a compressor get it's juice from the alternator??) but figured I would try the route of changing the battery before messing with the A/C compressor. Believe it or not, upon changing the battery the A/C began working! I could not believe it was blowing ice cold air again! Well my excitement was short lived because it stopped working again after going for a drive, turning car off and back on (~10 minutes later). I have no idea what could be going on... Is there a fuse or relay that could be bad? Why would replacing the battery solve my issue at first? Please help/let me know your thoughts...!

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      1) Compressors in most (this is changing because of the hybrids) cars are mechanically driven. What is electrical about a compressor is the clutch.
      2) There are two kinds of electrical current needs initial and running. An electrical magnetic clutch can have a high initial current but a lower running current. The battery can supply a higher initial current.
      3) I would check the ground going to the clutch or maybe a bad clutch

Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....