•  
    Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Aveo Bucking/Jerking/Losing Power

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by kalepumpkins View Post
      I'm new to this forum, so don't know exactly how to use it yet. I don't have an OBD2 reader (or a smartphone), but might be able to borrow one, or do you know of a good inexpensive one to buy? It really scares my kids and unnerves me to lose power suddenly!
      A regular OBD 2 reader runs about $100-$150, but the smartphone bluetooth adapter is about $10. Ideally you could just borrow one or a hand from someone who knows how to use it. I know of one Canadian auto parts dealer that would check the codes for free, at least last I heard.I mean, my money's on one or both of the O2 sensors, since you have the same year Aveo as myself, and those issues are almost identical, aside from your car having more miles, but if you can check the codes beforehand it might be able to be more accurate, since there could always be a different issue.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Really appreciate the help!

Quote Originally Posted by CKTofu View Post
      A regular OBD 2 reader runs about $100-$150, but the smartphone bluetooth adapter is about $10. Ideally you could just borrow one or a hand from someone who knows how to use it. I know of one Canadian auto parts dealer that would check the codes for free, at least last I heard.I mean, my money's on one or both of the O2 sensors, since you have the same year Aveo as myself, and those issues are almost identical, aside from your car having more miles, but if you can check the codes beforehand it might be able to be more accurate, since there could always be a different issue.
      Hi, I'm in the US, and don't know if any of the auto parts dealers check codes for free, but I do have at least one friend who I'm sure has one of those readers. The check engine light has come on for O2 sensors on my other vehicles, but maybe that's not the case here. I'll let you know what happens It's great to chat to someone with the same year model, so thank you again!

Thanks
      I have a 2010 Chevrolet Aveo LT I don't know if this will help you or not but it did me I got the ngk irridian spark plugs for my car. Immediately started having issues with cold starting which is engine knock shortly after starting only lasted for about 5 Seconds and then it would quit knocking but it would still misfire and be really hesitant and lose power coming to find out after a lot of research the spark plugs I had was is too high of a heat range that was NGK heat range number 6 I needed a colder heat range which means more resistant to heat I got a colder resistance spark plug for my car and everything works perfect again. I really hope this helps you or someone in the future.
      Last edited by Thomure77; 10-11-2016 at 02:25 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Thomure77 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-12-2016)

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by kalepumpkins View Post
      Hi, I'm in the US, and don't know if any of the auto parts dealers check codes for free
      In case your friend doesn't have one, I'm pretty sure most major chains will read your code for free. Check with Autozone, Advance Autoparts, O'Rileys.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

2010AveoLT (10-12-2016)

Thanks

Jerking Aveo

My 2009 Aveo automatic (66000 km) has developed an intermittent jerking, often at around 60 kph, 2500 rpm. Frequent short term losses of power (accompanied by a jump in engine rpm's), which feels like jerking. Resolves itself if I put my foot down and change to a lower gear.I have installed new plugs, plug wires and ignition coil but still have the problem.Could it be in the gearbox?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Hi Dennis, what area are you in ?

Thanks
      Sorry, I haven't been on the forum for a while. I had the same issue with my 2009 and tried everything I could think of. I finally let the gas tank go empty and filled with premium gas. Using premium gas for the last 6 months and no problems. A little more spendy but worth it.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      If you changed your plugs from the oem coppers to platinum, or some other plug, you could experience this. I could see how going to a higher grade fuel might solve the issue as well. But the solution in that case would be to run the copper plugs. Price wise it ill cost about the same (changing plugs more often versus higher grade gas). But the ECU mapping is for 87 octane, and although the ecu can adjust for it, you will be running closer to the tolerances of your sensors.

Thanks
      I am pondering trying alternating gas fills between 87 octane and 91 octane. Do you see any problems with trying this?

Thanks
      I have a 09 manual trans with 116,000 miles on it, and when you start it on a cold motor or a motor that has been sitting a few hours, it spitts and sputters and sometimes stalls out. I have changed the plugs and wires, and there is no engine light on. I would hope customer services would chime in on this issue.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast