•  

Thread: 2007 Aveo - bought used - maintenance questions

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

2007 Aveo - bought used - maintenance questions

Hi all, first post on these forums.

I just got an used Aveo 2007 LS, my first car ever. Since I got the car from a friend who has already moved overseas, I don't know much about how the car was maintained. I only know the following from the documents he left in the car when he sold it to me.

---Tires (2, don't know which!) changed, thrust alignment, wheel bearing play checked 3/13 - 110000 miles.
      ---A/C compressor, Front disc brake rotors and pans were replaced in 4/13 - 114000 miles
      ---Crankshaft sensor, MAP sensor replaced and oil changed in 6/13 - 118000 miles

When I got the car it had 120000 miles on it and nothing had been done since 6/13. About a month after I got it I had to replace the battery and the alternator which both died while I was on the highway a week ago. Total cost for the towing and services came up to $600 and I only paid $2500 for the car itself!

It also has the check engine light on and its from a faulty cam shank position sensor that needs to replaced according to the mechanic who did the other repairs. It costs $200 to get it done apparently.

My questions are

1. Should I get the cam shank sensor replaced right now? Or can I wait until I take it for a scheduled maintenance visit?
      2. Where should I go for the regular maintenance? I don't know which dealer he got it from. Can I just go to my local neighborhood auto repair shop?
      3. And HOW much "maintenance" should I have done on it? Seeing as I paid only $2500 for the car, I somehow don't feel like paying a grand just to have it "checked" out! But again, this is my first car, and I am no good at judging these things.

I want to act like I know something about stuff like this when I speak to the mechanics that will be doing it, so please help me out, guys.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by jaydoc; 06-26-2014 at 05:49 AM.

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      First thing, you've come to the right place to 'research' your car. Read as much as you can here. 2nd, the number one way to kill a 2004 to 2008 Aveo is not change the timing belt, water pump and related pulleys on time. It should be every 60,000 miles max. Without knowing when/if they were last changed, you're in a bit of a jam. You can take your car to ANY mechanic. Ask around for a good mechanic in your area, that works out of a smaller shop.

No matter the beginning 'cost' of a car, they cost money to keep them going. Maintenance is the difference between a $2500 car that is mechanically sound, or a $2500 lawn ornament.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by PoisonIvy View Post
      First thing, you've come to the right place to 'research' your car. Read as much as you can here. 2nd, the number one way to kill a 2004 to 2008 Aveo is not change the timing belt, water pump and related pulleys on time. It should be every 60,000 miles max. Without knowing when/if they were last changed, you're in a bit of a jam. You can take your car to ANY mechanic. Ask around for a good mechanic in your area, that works out of a smaller shop.

No matter the beginning 'cost' of a car, they cost money to keep them going. Maintenance is the difference between a $2500 car that is mechanically sound, or a $2500 lawn ornament.
      I second this. Since you don't know the maintenance history, get that timing belt replaced ASAP.

Spend the time and effort to find a good, honest mechanic. They will be worth their weight in gold. Ask a mechanically inclined friend where they take their car for service or bring them along when "interviewing" potential mechanics.

Casual Roadtripper RicochetRandy's Avatar
      Thanks
      After you take care of that timing belt, the pulleys, tensioner and water pump (~$200)
      Take a look at your thermostat housing. If it's black plastic, replace it with a metal one without delay! (~$20, very much worth it.)

Bottom left of this picture, http://www.philosyphia.com/wp-conten...ompartment.jpg the big thick black hose that goes into the engine. See how the part connecting it to the engine is silver? That's the way it should be. If it's black, it's plastic.

Using all the info on this forum, and with a little patience, the only thing you should have to take your car to a garage for is tires!

Happy driving!

Thanks
      Thanks for all the info everyone. I have been read quite a few threads and there is a lot of info about my car - more than I bargained for! I will try to use it as best as I can.

I have always wanted to work on my car myself and not take it to a mechanic. However I live in an apartment and I cannot see the management being OK with someone's car hood open with plenty of tools lying around. Even though we have assigned parking spaces(2 of them in fact with another two right next to us where no one ever parks). So for now, I will have to take it to a garage.

But, since this is a forum with plenty of DIY folk around, I want to ask this - if I wanted to buy tools to do all the common jobs that non-mechanic people can do themselves, what should I get? Is there a tool kit that I can buy off the shelf from say, Home Depot or Sears or some Auto parts store?

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      A ratchet set (Standard and metric), phillips and standard screwdrivers, and a decent set of box wrenches will get you about 90% of what you need. A torque wrench would be helpful once you are more comfortable working on vital parts and have a service manual.

Also, I've "rented" driveway space and knowledge from some of my mechanically inclined friends for the price of lunch or dinner when I lived in an apartment. Just be aware it's a 2-way street, they may ask for your help on certain tasks that are easier with a second person.

Casual Roadtripper RicochetRandy's Avatar
      Thanks
      I do work in my apartment complex's parking lot all the time, though most jobs take only about 20 minutes at the most. The building's manager actually likes it when I do my work, as long as I'm in the back corner of the lot. Says it "promotes responsibility, and protecting investments."

Either that or she likes a guy in work clothes!

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      valve cover gasket, replace that too

Thanks
      Thanks again everyone. I will try using a friend's parking lot. Going to pick up a few tools this weekend.