•  
    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2004 Aveo Issue

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Not entirely documented but enough to let you know what goes into it.

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f82/e...top-end-19864/

Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      All, current update:

My mechanic decided to bail on the car. I brought it in with low compression in #2 Cylinder and it is being returned to me with low compression in #2 and #4 Cylinders.

Worse than I brought it to them with.

What they did:

Removed and replaced the head...
      Got everything back together, tested compression and all cylinders were great.
      Started and ran the motor for 10 to 15 minutes perfectly... then the motor started skipping.

They have told me they cannot figure out what is wrong with the motor.

I asked them if they thought it might be the timing and if the valves might have gotten bent (2 & 4 cyl might have been intake and exhaust valves that got bent).

They told me they will not do anymore work on it, that they will only put another motor in it, nothing further.

I told them that I brought it in with one problem and now it is worse than when I brought it in.

I asked him to work up a bill and he told me he would try to go easy on the charges.

For me, I am wondering what the law states on this. I live in Massachusetts, so I am wondering what my rights are in this area.

Seems to me that if the original job they did (replacing the head) worked, and the car was running well, then it stopped running well... sounds like when they put it back together they did something wrong.

I am toast right now if I have to pay for their work and then get another mechanic to fix their mistakes.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Darsen View Post

Removed and replaced the head...
      Got everything back together, tested compression and all cylinders were great.
      Started and ran the motor for 10 to 15 minutes perfectly... then the motor started skipping.

They have told me they cannot figure out what is wrong with the motor.

I asked them if they thought it might be the timing and if the valves might have gotten bent (2 & 4 cyl might have been intake and exhaust valves that got bent).
      You're in a tough spot. If you can turn a wrench I would say do the work yourself. I often do as don't trust professional mechanics. I know it's unfair of me but over the years I have come to my own conclusions. Honestly I would not pay myself for a repair as I would take too long...

Pay for it and pull the head your self and check the valves. Then sue them to get your money back. OR get a lawyer and sue them upfront to reach a settlement. I bet they did not tighten/replace the idler pulley causing the timing belt to fail.

Thanks
      Well that sucks. I have no idea what legal actions you have right to. I agree with xintersecty, DIY is the way to go if you can. Otherwise, at least for now you'll have to go to another shop.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Went in this morning and they told me they are only going to charge me for the head gasket kit and a "couple of hours of labor", they would have the bill ready tomorrow. I am assuming about $300.

I told the guy, I have never gone to the mechanic and had my car returned to me in worse condition than before.

He told me, but with newer parts on it.

Then the receptionist said, "That is the understatement of the year!"

I kept my mouth shut, I didn't want to get more into it at that point.

Spoke with a friend of mine who owns a body shop and he told me not to pay a red cent.

The obviously $$(#*#*'ed something up, they need to fix it.

Tough situation.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Do you think it is valves? What are the odds?

Another shop I called told me that he would not waste anymore time on the car.. just dump it.

But the car is in great shape, 2 mechanics told me the cylinder walls are in PRISTINE condition, it had great compression when the new head was put on (before it started skipping again).

It seems like the old girl still has a lot of life left in her.... I HATE to give up on her.

Any encouragement, or is the other shop right, should I dump it?

Thanks
      At 300 bucks I would pay it and let it go. I know it sucks. Time to move on and start turning wrenches yourself.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I fix computers, not cars.. Made the wrong choice and should have went to trade school.. heh

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Darsen View Post
      I fix computers, not cars.. Made the wrong choice and should have went to trade school.. heh
      Same here I write firmware for small devices. I continue to work on cars as it expands my logic and thinking skills. This is how I look at any car repair. The cost of the repair is parts plus labor. I read that as the cost of the repair is the same as the parts plus the new TOOL I get to keep.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Nice, I write automation programs for my company and pulling/synthesizing and then writing automation solutions for the data flow.

You are my hero, seriously. I have been a bit gun shy with the automotive side. I understand the major concepts of everything, just don't have the tools, location (lift or land), or cajones (bravery.. heh) to strike out on it. I do minor things, but things like a head scare the hell out of me.

My father was a mechanic for years, but got out of it when electronics came into play. Every time I try to get him to help me, he says "I don't know Daewoo" so I give up on asking.

Anyway, I truly appreciate you and Daox's advice!

I feel pinned between a rock and hard place. I have about $1050 left of my car repair money. If they take $300 I will be left with $750 and, most likely, not enough cash to fix the Aveo.

I wish I had some motorhead friends around me that I could feed pizza and wings to and they would trade computer work for car work, but all my friends unfortunately went the college route.

Thanks again for your help!

Darsen

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast