•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100K (km) Maintenance!

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

100K (km) Maintenance!

Hey,

I have a couple of questions. I just hit 101,543KM on my 2006 Chevrolet Aveo5 Special Value. I bought the car at 70,000KM and I'm not sure what was done before it was sold to me.. I know it was a lease return though. I've already replaced the sepertine belt - 3 times, a front driver side control arm bushing and ball joint and now I'm looking at a driver side wheel bearing and brake pads.

1) Could I put off the timing belt until I have the money? It's around $200 to get done, but I don't have the money and can't have it lended but I should have it in 2-3 weeks.. Trying to get a job. The question is, if it started slipping or wearing would it give warning signs?

2) I need a new windshield, it's got a big crack but it's still stable, not worrying about it shattering. how much am I looking at for this?

3) I have a minor fender dent/crease in the front driver side fender, what tool do I need to take off the fender cover? Is there any chance I could pop out the dent/crease?

5) I find when my clutch is fully pressed in it's under 1,000RPM. What's happening here? It doesn't do the little 'jerk' so to speak when you shift anymore, but it goes into gear fine and once I let out the clutch it engages fine. It has a really smooth steady acceleration and feel to it.

4) Any other maintance I should have done when I get the money? Right now my list is:

- Timing belt
      - Wheel bearing
      - Brake pads
      - Oil change
      - Windshield

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      I think the ball joint, control arm and now bearings are all related. One failed first and killed the other two.

#5 not only doesn't make sense, it's in the wrong place. Timing belt should come before windshield and fender dent, you'll need to check local prices on the windshield though it varies greatly.

The water pump Should be done with the timing belt, along with doing the tensioner.

Thanks
      re: #2 - shop around different glass places for the windshield quote. I got a crack in one of my Rabbit's windshields years ago and after calling a few places discovered one that was willing to pay my insurance deductable to get the job.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      I agree with Rabbit, get that timing belt done. Is the 200 dollar cost include parts and labor. If so go for it as that is dirt cheap. I spent just 120 for the Car Quest Kit that included belt and rollers. I installed the timing belt myself at 72,000 miles. It was tedious but not hard.

I've already replaced the sepertine belt - 3 times
      Why did you replace the serpentine belt three times? I had my car quest belt on it for 80K miles with no problems. I too have a Special Value 2006 with the Dealer Installed AC. I bought my used from a dealer with only 5K on it. So Yeah Special Value Aveos! The Cheapest of the Cheap!
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      The Special Values are just as nice... As for the belt, the first one went when I drifted in a loose gravel parking lot. I'm guessing gravel hit the belt and knocked it out of it's place and caused the wear/tear without my noticing. The second belt was Canadian Tire's fault, they moved my power steering hose for some reason and it chafed not only the hose but the belt, the third belt however I have no idea what happened.

As for the timing belt, that was including parts and labor. It's $200, but I can't borrow the money. Could I put it off long enough to get a pay check? I'm at about 102,000KM. It's not slipping any that I can notice. It's at the top of my list if you look above, just not the first question.

Thanks
      It's not slipping any that I can notice.
      FYI, the timing belt is cogged - it won't slip. (A cogged belt could potentially "jump", but if it did the car would probably not run - or run really, really badly.)

When a cogged belt is toast, it generally snaps. Then some nasty, expensive stuff happens inside an interference engine.

Some people are comfortable inspecting their belts for visual signs of weakness (cracked/hazed rubber) to decide whether to change it or not. Personally, I wouldn't risk it, knowing the history of belts on this engine.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      So you don't think I'd be okay just for about 2 weeks with minimal driving? Otherwise it's sitting in the yard, and I'll have no way to town, the girlfriends, work e.t.c - Unless I was driven, in another vehicle.

Thanks
      Oh, I mean 2 weeks is probably OK. It doesn't sound like you're looking for an excuse not to do it

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I'm not, I actually really wanna do it but I honestly don't have the money and my folks won't lend it to me, already asked. So I'm trying to find a job, then it might not even be 2 weeks time just whenever the next pay checks go out from the day I start.. Hopefully it's less then 2 weeks, first thing the money is going to is getting the belt changed. It'll be a load off my shoulders.

I'm still in high-school, and owe my folks around $4,000 still on the car. So I'm having a hard time keeping up with repairs, and gas. To top it all off, I got laid off the job I had before Christmas. I got a lot of work to do.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      101,543KM is 63095 statue miles. I think the service is scheduled at 70K miles. I don't have my manual in front of me. Others will know better than me. It's a risk*, I say wait until you get your pay check. Just remember if you replace the water pump at the same time your cost can jump significantly. The water pump is used to adjust the tension on the timing belt. I personally did not replace my seals or water pump when I changed my timing belt.

*Cars suck (they suck cash) can you ride a bike to work? Never mind you live in Canada and could be ridding in 2 feet of snow. If you wait try alternate methods of getting to work to reduce the mileage on your aveo.

Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast