•  

Thread: '06 Aveo LS Hatchback Problem(s) - (engine "tugging" / hesitating)

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

'06 Aveo LS Hatchback Problem(s) - (engine "tugging" / hesitating)

Hey guys - I'm trying to get some info about my boyfriends vehicle. For a few weeks it's been making an odd "tugging" sensation.

At first we thought it was the transmission fluid, and honestly I still think it has something to do with it. But - second we thought it was the fuel filter, then we found out there wasn't a damn fuel filter we could do anything about. So - we went to the local Auto Parts store, and the associate hooked us up with some Sea-Foam. Well - we did was instructed, and the car was acting great. No tugging, no problems, riding smoother.

Welp, a few days ago, it starts tugging again, it was about 1/2 a tank, and I honestly am perplexed about this. I'm not much into fixing cars, but I'm the type of girl that wants to figure things out, if I fail, I try again, thing is with cars, if you fail, you end up spending wayyyy too much money.

Alright, so, the transmission fluid isn't red. It isn't even barely red. It's brown, and looks dirty as hell. I know the type of fluid to get, and that it'll cost out the hind-end to change it, but, if it's brown, and dirty, what could that be related to?

Oh - and, what in the world could that tugging sensation be coming from? It's like it's about to just croak on us, and it's usually when we're inclining speed, even just a tad. It started doing it reeeaallly bad when we took a day trip to the Museum about 100 miles away, then we added some transmission fluid to it, and it didn't do it on the way back, but, started doing the damn tugging thing again a week or so later. That's when we tried the Sea-Foam stuff.

So - for the sake of all that is holy and unholy, how the hell can this be fixed? Should him and I take it up to the local Auto Parts store and have them check the computer system thing? I don't know all the names for things, but, I'm trying. I guess I'm one of those types of females that wants to be just as smart as a man when it comes to cars, building things, or fixin' things.

Thanks, y'all, and sorry it was so long, and sorry this was my first post, I just have no idea wtf to do.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Change the plugs and wires, its cheap easy to do your self and may be your issue, i had the same problem except i drive a manual.

Thanks
      Which plugs and wires?
      Sorry, I'm just a newb when it comes to this kinda' stuff.

Thanks
      Your spark plugs, you remove the cover on the engine, should be 6 alen screws, and slowly twist on the boot while gently pulling, do only one at a time, you dont need special plugs ot wires, acdelco replacements will do just fine and should not cost to much. Im pretty good with cars and had mine done ith the better part of a half hour, you shouldnt take to long. My only recommendation is to absolutely make sure you have the right size allen wrench, it must not wiggle in the bolt or you will strip it.

Thanks
      Yep, 5mm allen key for the plastic cover bolts.

My wife's car did that and changing the spark plugs and plug wires cleaned it right up. I was sure the clutch was toast because it was missing so badly before I did the work.

Thanks
      It really takes alot to cook the clutch in the aveo, i have 355000km in mine on the original clutch, actually everything in the car except starter alternator and timing assembly are original, i am really impressed with it

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      my questions for you are..

if you added transmission fluid, was the transmission fluid low?

do you have a cel light or a hold light?

I lean toward the agreement of the plugs and wires, maybe even the coil pack. What is your mileage, recent maintenance, and did you get gas somewhere new?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by petrified.rabbit View Post
      my questions for you are..

if you added transmission fluid, was the transmission fluid low?

do you have a cel light or a hold light?

I lean toward the agreement of the plugs and wires, maybe even the coil pack. What is your mileage, recent maintenance, and did you get gas somewhere new?
      Transmission fluid was low when we checked it, so we added some more. It rode fine on the way back to his place [115 miles away], but, it started doing it again. So - went to the Store in mind to get/look at one thing, he asked us what was going on, told us about Sea-foam and that's what we got. It worked awesome for a while, then started doing the surging feeling again.

Then I started looking around, and saw that hey, engine air filter probably needs to be changed. Well - it was easy doing that, but, since it hasn't ever been changed, and 87k has been put on the car, without it ever being changed. So, I was able to replace the air filter just fine, but, the intake hose is now all dry and brittle, and split in a few different places. He has to go to work in the morning, and we're low on money, so I honestly have no idea what the hell to do next. I'm trying to find some quick, cheap remedies till there is a bit more money to work with, and just get a new intake hose, but, now what?

So - fellas, if you could guide me into the direction to fixing a cracked/split intake hose, I'd be mighty thankful.

I'm kinda' freaking out, and feel like a screw-up, even though the air filter needed to be changed, it's kinda like, hey, you screwed up and now you're never going to be able to do stuff on your own, and let's just say I'm hard-headed and prideful, and want stuff to work.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Bring the cracked sections together, and then wrap the hose with duct tape a few times. That will last until whenever you can spring for the new hose. If the plugs and wires also haven't ever been changed, that is almost definitely the cause of your problem.
      One thing about getting into auto repairs is that most of them will require tools. Those of us who DIY buy whatever we need, becuase we know that cost will be repaid, usually many times over. But it sounds like you're on a tight budget, and it may be tough to buy the parts (plugs, and wires), plus the ratchet, extension, plug socket, and allen wrench (unless you already have some of that stuff). Maybe you can borrow some of the tools from a friend.
      It sounds like you and your boyfriend are completely green on this stuff, so I'll ask if either of you have ever replaced a spark plug (on anything)? If you've never tightened down a plug, it's not totally obvious how much torque to apply. This is normally a very simple job, UNLESS you snap off a plug, which could turn this simple job into a nightmare. It would be great to use a torque wrench the first time, but that's even a much bigger initial expense. Plus, our Aveos have deep wells, making threading the plug blind, so cross threading the plug (another nightmare) is more likely than with a thread you can watch. And one other thing about our Aveos is that there will almost definitely be a pool of oil in one or more of the plug wells - again not a big deal if your familiar with that. Bottom line here is that you would be much better off getting a friend who has done this stuff before to help you out. Good luck with it!

Thanks
      Well, before he went to work this mornin' he wrapped the hose with ducttape, and he said it wasn't messing up. So - this is a for now fix.

Thankfully, he has experience with changing spark-plugs, on his Aveo. He also changed the sway-bar linkage on his front tires, and the struts. But, I've never changed a spark plug, or well, done anything car related, besides put gas in the tank. Only recently have I been wanting to really get into things, so when stuff like this happens, I'll know some of what to do.

We have the tools that we'll need, thankfully.

Again - thank y'all for helping us. I felt kinda' proud that I changed the air filter last night, it was simple and quick, and of course him and his brother were making jokes about how the screw-driver wasn't a spatula, and I was in a funny looking kitchen. They're both still alive, no worries.